Kansas City Current Drop Close Match in Los Angeles
KANSAS CITY - The short-handed KC Current fell 1-0 to Angel City FC in the second of three matches on the road. The Current, without head coach Matt Potter and four players due to COVID protocol, held the match scoreless until an unlucky own goal from Taylor Leach gave Los Angeles the lead in the 70th minute.
"So, so proud of the players and how they responded," said acting head coach Lloyd Yaxley. "I felt like everyone that was a part of this organization this week gave their all for the cause."
Rookie Alex Loera had Kansas City's best chance of the night off a free kick from the edge of the penalty box. Her rocket toward the top left corner forced a sprawling save from goalkeeper Didi Haracic.
Kansas City goalkeeper AD Franch had an outstanding night with four saves against the high-pressure attack from Angel City. In the 31st minute, Los Angeles forward Simone Charley charged past the defensive line to find herself alone against Franch. The goalkeeper came up big at the near post with a kick save to keep the match level.
Franch came up big again in the 78th minute, when an Angel City corner kick found Vanessa Gilles at the penalty spot. A quick diving save from Franch prevented a second Los Angeles goal.
COVID replacement player Jada Talley made her NWSL debut in the 84th minute. Talley was selected by the Orlando Pride with the 31st overall pick in the 2022 NWSL Draft. After playing at Arizona University from 2017-2020, the Corona, California native played her final season at the University of Southern California.
The Current finishes its road stretch against OL Reign May 25. The next home match is May 30 against Racing Louisville FC. Season Tickets and Flex plans are available for all home matches at Children's Mercy Park. For pricing and information visit kansascitycurrent.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 21, 2022
- Angel City FC Defeats Kansas City Current 1-0 - Angel City FC
- Kansas City Current Drop Close Match in Los Angeles - Kansas City Current
- Dash Earn Three Road Points with 2-0 Win over Portland Thorns - Houston Dash
- Thorns FC Fall 2-0 to Houston Dash at Providence Park - Portland Thorns FC
- Kansas City Current Sign Midfielder Jada Talley as COVID Replacement Player - Kansas City Current
- Courage Host San Diego Wave FC for First Time Sunday - North Carolina Courage
- What to Watch for with Racing at NJ/NY Gotham FC - Racing Louisville FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Current Stories
- Dani Welniak Joins Kansas City Current as Executive Director of Communications
- Kansas City Current Officially Unveils World Class Training Complex
- Kansas City Current Continue Unbeaten Streak Against Chicago
- Unbeaten Streaks Take Center Stage in Kansas City Current's Final Game of Homestand
- Hamilton's Late Goal Gives New-Look Kansas City Current 1-0 Victory