Cougars lose lead, get swept in Burlington
Burlington, IA- The Kane County Cougars scored in the first inning Sunday afternoon against the Burlington Bees and held their 1-0 lead behind Ryan Webb until the seventh inning. The Bees turned the game around with a four-run frame and eventually handed the Cougars a 4-2 defeat at Community Field. Kane County was swept on the road for the first time this season.
Cliff Pennington led off the game with a double against Bees starter Danny Christensen and later scored on Javier Herrera's grounder for a 1-0 game. Christensen settled down for Burlington, and Webb cruised on the mound for Kane County. The right-hander sent down 10 consecutive hitters from the end of the third through the sixth. The seventh-inning disaster began when Webb gave up back-to-back singles in the seventh and threw wild to first on a sacrifice bunt by Brian McFall, allowing two runs to score and McFall to reach third. A a sacrifice fly to center made it 3-1 and cleared the bases. After Eddie Solis reached on an error at third base, reliever J.R. Pickens replaced Webb and gave up a double to make it 4-1. Kane County roared back in the ninth when Pennington roped a two-out single off Zane Carlson to bring home Nick Blasi for a 4-2 deficit. Carlson left, Gabe DeHoyos entered and induced a flyball with two runners aboard to end the game. Webb (4-10) took the loss after 6 1/3 innings. He gave up four runs (one earned) on five hits, walked none and fanned four. Kyle Crist (8-2) got the relief win for the Bees, and DeHoyos notched his third save.
The Cougars (15-15) now travel to Wisconsin to begin a four-game series with the Timber Rattlers. Monday night's opener starts at 7:05 CDT. Joe Scott (1-1, 6.00) will take the mound for Kane County against right-hander Randy Frye (2-4, 8.10) for the Wisconsin (15-15).
6:50 PM Cougars On-Deck Show, 7:05 PM First Pitch AM-1280 WBIG
Monday's Starters RH Joe Scott (1-1, 6.00) v. RH Randy Frye (2-4, 8.10)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 24, 2005
- Beloit's big second sinks Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts jump out early, hang on to sweep Chiefs, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Only thing hotter than the temperature is the Bees - Burlington Bees
- Cougars lose lead, get swept in Burlington - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs add 2005 third rounder, Shaver promoted - Peoria Chiefs
- Nomar to join Chiefs on rehab - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs ninth inning rally falls short - Peoria Chiefs
- Swing beat heat, Wizards - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons bend the bullpen, win 6-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers hold on for win over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dusty slams home the win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Devil Rays fall 11-2 in finale with 'Caps - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Reiman returns to Dunedin, roster currently at 24 - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season