Cougars lose lead, get swept in Burlington
Burlington, IA- The Kane County Cougars scored in the first inning Sunday afternoon against the Burlington Bees and held their 1-0 lead behind Ryan Webb until the seventh inning. The Bees turned the game around with a four-run frame and eventually handed the Cougars a 4-2 defeat at Community Field. Kane County was swept on the road for the first time this season.
Cliff Pennington led off the game with a double against Bees starter Danny Christensen and later scored on Javier Herrera's grounder for a 1-0 game. Christensen settled down for Burlington, and Webb cruised on the mound for Kane County. The right-hander sent down 10 consecutive hitters from the end of the third through the sixth. The seventh-inning disaster began when Webb gave up back-to-back singles in the seventh and threw wild to first on a sacrifice bunt by Brian McFall, allowing two runs to score and McFall to reach third. A a sacrifice fly to center made it 3-1 and cleared the bases. After Eddie Solis reached on an error at third base, reliever J.R. Pickens replaced Webb and gave up a double to make it 4-1. Kane County roared back in the ninth when Pennington roped a two-out single off Zane Carlson to bring home Nick Blasi for a 4-2 deficit. Carlson left, Gabe DeHoyos entered and induced a flyball with two runners aboard to end the game. Webb (4-10) took the loss after 6 1/3 innings. He gave up four runs (one earned) on five hits, walked none and fanned four. Kyle Crist (8-2) got the relief win for the Bees, and DeHoyos notched his third save.
The Cougars (15-15) now travel to Wisconsin to begin a four-game series with the Timber Rattlers. Monday night's opener starts at 7:05 CDT. Joe Scott (1-1, 6.00) will take the mound for Kane County against right-hander Randy Frye (2-4, 8.10) for the Wisconsin (15-15).
6:50 PM Cougars On-Deck Show, 7:05 PM First Pitch AM-1280 WBIG
Monday's Starters RH Joe Scott (1-1, 6.00) v. RH Randy Frye (2-4, 8.10)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 24, 2005
- Beloit's big second sinks Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts jump out early, hang on to sweep Chiefs, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Only thing hotter than the temperature is the Bees - Burlington Bees
- Cougars lose lead, get swept in Burlington - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs add 2005 third rounder, Shaver promoted - Peoria Chiefs
- Nomar to join Chiefs on rehab - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs ninth inning rally falls short - Peoria Chiefs
- Swing beat heat, Wizards - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons bend the bullpen, win 6-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers hold on for win over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dusty slams home the win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Devil Rays fall 11-2 in finale with 'Caps - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Reiman returns to Dunedin, roster currently at 24 - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.