Devil Rays fall 11-2 in finale with 'Caps
BATTLE CREEK, MICH. -- The Southwest Michigan Devil Rays allowed a second inning grand slam en route to an 11-2 defeat to the West Michigan Whitecaps to end a four-game homestand Sunday afternoon at C.O. Brown Stadium.
Jino Gonzalez got only six outs while allowing four hits, six runs, five earned, two walks and two strikeouts in picking up his fifth loss of the season. Tommy Nichols drove in the Rays only runs in the fourth inning while down 7-2. Nichols was the only Devil Ray with two hits.
Lavelle Morgan surrendered five runs and four earned in four innings while he struck out six batters in relief. Tony Perez and Jose De La Cruz pitched one scoreless inning each to end the game.
Southwest Michigan heads to Swing of the Quad Cities and West Michigan for eight games before returning home on Penny Hot Dog Tuesday, August 2, for an eight-game homestand that will also feature Krazy Karacters and Guru. The August 2 game begins at 7:05 p.m. at C.O. Brown Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 24, 2005
- Beloit's big second sinks Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts jump out early, hang on to sweep Chiefs, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Only thing hotter than the temperature is the Bees - Burlington Bees
- Cougars lose lead, get swept in Burlington - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs add 2005 third rounder, Shaver promoted - Peoria Chiefs
- Nomar to join Chiefs on rehab - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs ninth inning rally falls short - Peoria Chiefs
- Swing beat heat, Wizards - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons bend the bullpen, win 6-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers hold on for win over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dusty slams home the win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Devil Rays fall 11-2 in finale with 'Caps - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Reiman returns to Dunedin, roster currently at 24 - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.