Dusty slams home the win
BATTLE CREEK, MI - Dusty Ryan drove in five runs and hit a grand slam to cap a five-run second inning as the Whitecaps buried Southwest Michigan, 11-2.
Ryan is the third Whitecap this season to collect five RBI in a game, which is one shy of the team record. It was the fourth slam of the season for West Michigan and Ryan's fourth home run. Josh Lee also went deep for the 'Caps. He belted a two-run shot for a 7-0 lead in the third.
Starting pitcher Andrew Kown earned his second consecutive victory with six innings of work and two runs allowed. Anthony Tomey and Ed Clelland combined to throw three shutout innings in relief. Devil Rays starter Jino Gonzaelz left the game in the third inning with an unspecified injury. In each of the four games in the series, one of the two starting pitchers was removed due to an injury: Whitecaps right hander Jair Jurrjens in game one Friday, Romelio Lopez left game two for the Devil Rays Friday, and Josh Rainwater of West Michigan was replaced in Saturday's game.
Tommy Nichols delivered a two-run single in the fourth to account for both Southwest Michigan runs. With the victory, the Whitecaps move ahead of the Devil Rays by one full game in the race for first place in the East Division second half playoff race.
First Place vs. First Place: Burlington was leading the West Division going into Sunday's games. They will be the opponent in a four game series that opens the Whitecaps eight game home stand. Below are the expected starting pitchers for the series against the Bees: (Burlington vs. West Michigan) Monday, 7:00 p.m. RHP Patrick Green (5-7, 4.30) vs. RHP Josh Kauten (4-1, 2.91) Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. RHP Justin Sherman (3-3, 2.30) vs. RHP Dallas Trahern (5-8, 3.27) Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. RHP Patrick Hicklen (6-4, 3.84) vs. RHP Jair Jurrjens (7-5, 3.33) Thursday, 7:00 p.m. RHP Luis Cota (3-4, 3.49) vs. RHP Josh Rainwater (2-5, 3.56) The Eikenhout Incorporated Pre Game Show begins at 6:50 prior to each game on AM 1340 WBBL, the Whitecaps Radio Network and at mlive.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 24, 2005
- Beloit's big second sinks Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts jump out early, hang on to sweep Chiefs, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Only thing hotter than the temperature is the Bees - Burlington Bees
- Cougars lose lead, get swept in Burlington - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs add 2005 third rounder, Shaver promoted - Peoria Chiefs
- Nomar to join Chiefs on rehab - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs ninth inning rally falls short - Peoria Chiefs
- Swing beat heat, Wizards - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons bend the bullpen, win 6-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers hold on for win over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dusty slams home the win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Devil Rays fall 11-2 in finale with 'Caps - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Reiman returns to Dunedin, roster currently at 24 - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.