Chiefs add 2005 third rounder, Shaver promoted
PEORIA, IL- The Peoria Chiefs in conjunction with the Chicago Cubs have announced that 2005 3rd round draft pick Mike Billek has been promoted to Peoria and will start on Monday night against the Dayton Dragons. In addition, Chiefs LHP Chris Shaver has been promoted to High-A Daytona of the Florida State League.
Shaver lost his last start at Lansing on Friday night and leaves the Chiefs with a 3-7 record and a 4.31 ERA in 19 starts. The left-hander from Hampden-Sydney, Virginia tossed 102 1/3 innings and struck out 76 batters while walking 45 on the season. He was selected in the 4th round in 2004 out of William & Mary and was the Chiefs only left-hander in the starting rotation.
Billek was the Cubs 3rd round choice in last month's draft out of the University of Central Florida. The 6'4 right-hander made five starts for Boise in the Northwest League this season going 0-1 with a 2.45 ERA. In 17 innings he struck out 20 and walked just six while allowing 16 hits. Billek made his last start on July 19th at Eugene and went four innings in a no-decision while allowing two runs on five hits and picking up three strikeouts. The Palm Harbor, Florida native went 4-3 with a 4.07 ERA and 87 strikeouts in 90 innings for the Golden Knights in 2005. With the addition of Billek the Chiefs roster remains at 24 players, one shy of the maximum.
For more information check out the team website at www.peoriachiefs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 24, 2005
- Beloit's big second sinks Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts jump out early, hang on to sweep Chiefs, 7-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Only thing hotter than the temperature is the Bees - Burlington Bees
- Cougars lose lead, get swept in Burlington - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs add 2005 third rounder, Shaver promoted - Peoria Chiefs
- Nomar to join Chiefs on rehab - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs ninth inning rally falls short - Peoria Chiefs
- Swing beat heat, Wizards - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons bend the bullpen, win 6-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers hold on for win over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dusty slams home the win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Devil Rays fall 11-2 in finale with 'Caps - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Reiman returns to Dunedin, roster currently at 24 - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff