Cougars Drop Opener, Magic Number
GENEVA, Ill.- A tight race for the second half Western Division Wild Card will continue another night after the Kane County Cougars (36-31, 71-65) fell in the series opener to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (36-32, 67-70) by a score of 2-1 Saturday night. With a magic number now at two, the Cougars can still clinch a playoff spot Sunday evening with a win and a Beloit loss.
Despite 20 total hits in the game, both teams' pitching staffs stole the show Saturday. The Cougars experience their first lead change in over a week, and it was unfortunately for the worse.
For the fourth straight game, the Cougars scored first. In the third inning, Yan Sanchez singled home Yoel Yanqui for a 1-0 lead. Wisconsin's starter Scott Sunitsch (3-0) shut down the Cougars' chance to score any more runs with a fielder's choice and a strikeout. That theme continued.
It was a short-lived lead as Wisconsin tied things up in the top of the fourth on Chad McClanahan's RBI sacrifice fly. Two batters later Trever Morrison singled home Gabriel Garcia. It was the only two runs that Cole Bartlett (5-4) issued Saturday, but it was enough to suffer the tough luck loss. Bartlett finished the day with seven innings of two-run baseball with no walks and six strikeouts.
After Sunitsch, Gabe Friese worked two and two-third innings of scoreless baseball. Friese left with a runner on in the eighth, but Robbie Hitt (9) took over and started his ninth with a scoreless inning. Hitt worked a four-out save, including stranding the tying run on the bases to end the game.
The Cougars host Wisconsin Sunday with a chance to clinch at home. A couple of left-handers take the mound in the Cougars' Mack Lemieux (4-10, 4.31) and Wisconsin's Wilfred Salaman (0-2, 7.13). First pitch from Northwestern Medicine Field is at 6:30 p.m. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or visit kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2018
- Bandits Double up Peoria to Open Final Series of Regular Season - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Win, Now One Win Away from Playoffs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Win Eighth Straight with Suniaga's Strong Start - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Feel Pain of Fort Wayne - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Drop Thriller, 7-6 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Stun Lugnuts in Walkoff, 10-9 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Top Seed Kernels Top Snappers in Critical Series Opener - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Drop Opener, Magic Number - Kane County Cougars
- Munroe Leads Dragons to Comeback Win, 7-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- McGovern homers & pitching thrills in 3-2 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Rattlers Hang On to a Win and Their Playoff Hopes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons, Cubs Cancelled on Saturday - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 1 at West Michigan (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- New & Extended Protective Netting to be Installed at Northwestern Medicine Field
- Cougars Announce 8th Annual 5K to be Held on Saturday, May 18
- Single-Game Tickets for Your Cougars 2019 Season on Sale Now
- Cougars Unveil Promotional Lineup for 2019 Season
- Dine with Your Valentine at Cougars Home Field, February 9