Cool Jerseys Or Not, Suns Can't Keep Pace with Blue Coats
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - The Northern Arizona Suns did something rare on Saturday night at the Findlay Toyota Center - they failed to pick up the win while wearing specialty jerseys.
The Suns (7-29) dropped to 4-2 all-time when wearing specialty jerseys, snapping a four-game winning streak, with their 117-107 loss to the Delaware Blue Coats (12-18) at their second annual Aloha Fest. To celebrate the night, the Suns wore Hawaiian inspired purple jerseys that were auctioned off postgame, with all proceeds benefitting Yavapai Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Several Suns players had huge nights in the loss, led by Aaron Epps who scored a career-high 26 points on 10-of-13 shooting, including 3-of-4 from distance, to go with nine rebounds. Epps bested his 24-point game he had on Nov. 13 vs. Santa Cruz. It marked his second career 20+ point game as he bumped up his shooting percentage now to .510.
Retin Obasohan flirted with a triple-double, recording 18 points, 10 rebounds, eight assists, three steals and two blocks. He's just the third player in the NBA G League to record 10+ rebounds, 8+ assists, 3+ steals and 2+ blocks in a game this season. The Suns guard followed his first career double-double with a string of them now.
George King just missed out on a double-double as he finished with 14 points and nine rebounds. Peter Jok poured in 15 points with three three-pointers, adding five rebounds and two steals. ShawnDre Jones dished a career-high eight assists off the bench.
The Suns fell behind early in this one and couldn't quite get over the 10-point wall. Delaware used a 9-of-15 (.600) three-point clip in the first quarter to quickly go up 13 points, ending the frame with a 34-26 lead. The Blue Coats continued their efficient shooting from distance all night, finishing at 22-of-45 (.489). The Blue Coats led by as many as 23 points and never trailed by less than 10 points in the second half.
Delaware was also led by a bench player scoring 26 points, as Rashad Vaughn earned his on 7-of-12 shooting from distance to go with six rebounds. Jared Brownridge notched 23 points on 7-of-13 shooting from deep and four assists. Ryan Anderson (14 points, 6-9 FG, 11 rebounds) and Norvel Pelle (12 points, 14 rebounds, three blocks) achieved double-doubles.
The Suns will play their 21st road game of the season on Tuesday at the Rio Grande Valley Vipers at 6 p.m. MT. The Blue Coats will next play at the Austin Spurs on Tuesday at 10 a.m. MT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 3, 2019
- Stockton Kings Slide Past Lakeland Magic, 101-99 - Stockton Kings
- Skyforce Skid Continues in Loss to Blue - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Garrett, Warney Tally Career Numbers in Two-Point Loss to Swarm - Westchester Knicks
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires A.J. Hess in Trade with Canton Charge - Wisconsin Herd
- San Antonio Recalls Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Mulder Parades Bulls Past Charge - Canton Charge
- Jaylen Adams and Alex Poythress Transferred to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- Westchester Hosts Swarm for Afternoon Meeting Today - Westchester Knicks
- Cool Jerseys Or Not, Suns Can't Keep Pace with Blue Coats - Northern Arizona Suns
- Three Lakers Notch Double-Doubles in Win over Texas - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northern Arizona Suns Stories
- NAZ Suns to Host Preseason Game against South Bay
- NAZ Suns Name Jordan Byrd, Tom Kuyper Team Broadcasters for 2019-20 Season
- NAZ Suns Roll out 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Jeff Feld Named Northern Arizona Suns General Manager
- NAZ Suns 2019-20 Single-Game Tickets on Sale