Connor Doherty Returns for Second Season in Maine
PORTLAND, ME - The Maine Mariners announced today that defenseman and captain Connor Doherty will return for a second year. Doherty was named the second captain in Mariners team history last fall and helped lead them to their first ever playoff appearance.
The Mariners originally acquired Doherty last July in a trade from the Worcester Railers, where he spent the first three seasons of his professional career. Now on the other side of the rivalry, he skated in 62 games for the Mariners in 2021-22, putting up 22 points (2 goals, 20 assists): career highs in all three offensive categories. Doherty added three assists in six playoff games, as the Mariners faced off against the Reading Royals in their first ever postseason series.
Doherty is a New England native, hailing from Holden, Massachusetts. The 29-year-old played his college hockey at Sacred Heart University from 2014-17. The Mariners are his third ECHL team - as he spent the 2020-21 "pandemic season" with the Kansas City Mavericks.
"I couldn't be more excited to be coming back to the Mariners for a second year," said Doherty. "The support from the fans and the city makes every home game that much more exciting to be a part of. I can't wait to have the Cross getting rowdy for another great season and playoff run. See you in October!"
The Mariners 2022-23 season is once again presented by Hannaford To Go, and begins on Friday, October 21st at Trois-Rivieres, followed by the home opener on Saturday, October 22nd also against the Lions at 6 PM. Full and half season packages plus 12-game mini plans for the 2022-23 season are on sale now by calling 833-GO-MAINE or visiting the Mariners front office at 94 Free St. in Portland. Prospective package holders can also put down a deposit or fill out an inquiry form at MarinersOfMaine.com. Single game tickets will go on sale in September.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 1, 2022
- Nailers Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Wheeling Nailers
- Solar Bears Extend Qualifying Offers for 2022-23 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Announce Qualifying Offers for Five Players - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Issue Qualifying Offers to Four - Maine Mariners
- Gladiators Hand out Three Qualifying Offers - Atlanta Gladiators
- Americans Send Qualifying Offers to Seven Players - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Qualifying Offers - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Hc Qualify Seven Players for 2022-23 Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Oilers Announce Qualifying Offers - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Announces Seven Qualifying Offers - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads to Host Major Press Conference - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Railers Hc Re-Sign Forward Liam Coughlin for 2022-23 Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Connor Doherty Returns for Second Season in Maine - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.