Comets Split Two-Game Road Trip
LAKELAND, Florida (Mar. 17, 2019) - The Kansas City Comets dropped the back half of their two-game Florida road trip this afternoon, falling 12-8 to the Florida Tropics at RP Funding Center in Lakeland, Florida. Bryan Perez and Kiel Williams each scored two goals for the Comets in the losing effort.
The Florida Tropics came out swinging in today's game, scoring four goals in the opening period. Kansas City's Leo Gibson, Bryan Perez and James Togbah each got first quarter goals to keep the game within reach at 4-3.
The second quarter was pretty quiet with neither team having many chances. Florida's Rafa Alves converted the only goal of the 2nd quarter.
Florida scored the opening two quarters of the 3rd period to open up a four-goal lead on the Comets. Kansas City was able to close out the period with two goals from Robert Palmer and the second one from Perez.
Kansas City attempted to come back several times in the fourth quarter, with Kiel Williams scoring two goals and Anthony Grant adding another. Unfortunately, they could not shut down the Tropics offense as well and allowed five Florida goals, two of them coming against the Comets sixth attacker.
The Comets drop to 10-10 on the season as they return home for a vital South Central division rivalry against the St Louis Ambush next Saturday, March 23 at 7:05 p.m. CT. They head into the week with a one-game advantage over the Ambush and Orlando SeaWolves for the division's final playoff spot.
Tickets are available at KCComets.com for Saturday's in-state matchup or by calling 888.9.COMETS.
MASL Match Report
Match: Florida Tropics vs Kansas City Comets
Date: March 17, 2019
Venue: RP Funding Center, Lakeland, FL
Kickoff: 2:05 p.m. CT / 3:05 p.m. ET
Goals 1 2 3 4 F
Florida Tropics 4 1 2 5 12
Kansas City Comets 3 0 2 3 8
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Heat Drop Home Match to Blast 8-2 - Harrisburg Heat
- Milwaukee Wave Brings Win Streak to 4 After Victory over St. Louis Sunday - Milwaukee Wave
- Blast Clinch Playoff Spot with 8-2 Victory over Heat - Baltimore Blast
- Diegues Nets Team Record Five as Tropics Roll Past Kansas City Comets, 12-8 - Florida Tropics SC
- Comets Split Two-Game Road Trip - Kansas City Comets
- Ambush Drop One on the Road to Milwaukee - St. Louis Ambush
- MetroStars Earn 9-3 Win over Utica - Mississauga MetroStars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.