Ambush Drop One on the Road to Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI - The St. Louis Ambush fell 7-4 to the Milwaukee Wave Sunday afternoon at the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena. The win improved the Wave to 17-3, while the Ambush dropped to 10-12.
Just over five minutes into the match, Ambush goalkeeper Paulo was called for handling the ball outside the box, giving Milwaukee a power play that Luan Oliveira made good on at 6:21. Douglas Dos Santos scored the equalizer for the Ambush when he took a pass from Mike Scharf and fired a long shot from just inside the yellow line at 12:28.
The Ambush took a 2-1 lead when Clayton took a shot that hit the board and Stefan St. Louis caught the rebound on his chest and was able to send it into the net at 2:14 of the second quarter. The Ambush went on a power play when Milwaukee's Angel Curiel was sent to the penalty box for tripping at 5:03. Zach Reget's power play goal at 5:21 put St. Louis up 3-1, a lead they would take to the locker room at halftime.
Milwaukee was the first to get on the board in the second half when Oliveira sent a pass to Ian Bennett, who caught Paulo out of the goal and found the back of the net at 6:26 of the third quarter to close the gap to 3-2. Milwaukee drew even 41 seconds later when Guilherme Veiga scored off a pass from Max Ferdinand. Milwaukee took a 4-3 lead on Bennett's unassisted tally at 10:30 of the third.
The Ambush knotted the score (4-4) when Milwaukee goalkeeper Josh Lemos was screened by a defender and Lucas Almeida was able to place a high shot over Lemo's head at 1:11 of the final frame. Milwaukee regained the lead (5-4) when Robert Renaud passed to a charging Marcio Leite, who scored with ease at 9:29. Just over a minute later (10:30), the Wave increased their lead to 6-4 when Drew Ruggles sent a pass to Alex Bradley, who was able to beat Paulo. The final blow came in the last minute of the contest when Ruggles scored an empty-netter with the sixth attacker in play for the Ambush to seal the 7-4 victory.
Next for the Ambush is a road trip across the state to Independence, Missouri to square off with the Kansas City Comets on March 23. The Ambush are also offering a special package for the visit to Kansas City where fans can see the game and get round trip bus transportation for only fifty dollars. Fans can register online by visiting stlambush.com or by calling the Ambush office at 636-477-6363. The Ambush return home for the regular season finale when the Wave invade the Family Arena Friday, March 29 at 7:35 p.m. CDT. The first 1,000 fans in attendance March 29 will receive Ambush Player Card Set 5.
For fans unable to catch any game in person, all Ambush games are webcast live at masl.tv. Group and single game tickets are on sale for all Ambush home games. For more information, call the Ambush office at 636-477-6363. Keep up to date on all Ambush news by following the official website, stlambush.com and on Facebook and Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Heat Drop Home Match to Blast 8-2 - Harrisburg Heat
- Milwaukee Wave Brings Win Streak to 4 After Victory over St. Louis Sunday - Milwaukee Wave
- Blast Clinch Playoff Spot with 8-2 Victory over Heat - Baltimore Blast
- Diegues Nets Team Record Five as Tropics Roll Past Kansas City Comets, 12-8 - Florida Tropics SC
- Comets Split Two-Game Road Trip - Kansas City Comets
- Ambush Drop One on the Road to Milwaukee - St. Louis Ambush
- MetroStars Earn 9-3 Win over Utica - Mississauga MetroStars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Louis Ambush Stories
- St. Louis Ambush Visit Sunshine State for Two Games this Weekend
- Ambush Split Weekend Series with Utica
- St. Louis Ambush Defeat Utica City FC in Shootout
- St. Louis Ambush Host Utica City FC in Two Games this Weekend
- St. Louis Ambush Acquire Forward Anthony Grant