Diegues Nets Team Record Five as Tropics Roll Past Kansas City Comets, 12-8
LAKELAND, Fla. - Ricardo Diegues set a team record with five goals, and the Florida Tropics tied a record for most goals in the game as they routed the Kansas City Comets, 12-8, in a Major Arena Soccer League Game Sunday at the RP Funding Center.
Diegues, who now has 22 goals in 14 games, didn't start his onslaught until midway through the third quarter, which stretched the Florida lead to 6-3. Diegues had a four-goal game last Sunday at the RP Funding Center in a loss to St. Louis.
Enzo Marangoni and Matt Clare staked the Tropics to a 2-0 lead just three minutes into the game before the Comets roared back with three straight. However, goals 14 seconds apart, in the last 30 seconds of the first half by Rafa Alves and Victor Parreiras, put the Tropics on top 4-3, a lead they never relinquished.
Both Alves and Perreiras finished with two each, with Antonio Manfut adding one as Florida improved to 6-14.
Kansas City, which fell to 10-10, got two each from Kiel Williams and Bryan Perez, and single scores from Leo Gibson, James Togbah, Robert Palmer and Anthony Grant.
Florida will be on the road next weekend to take on the division-leading Milwaukee Wave in a 8:05 p.m. (EDT) start on Saturday, March 23, before returning to Lakeland to host the Comets again on Saturday, March 30, at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 17, 2019
- Heat Drop Home Match to Blast 8-2 - Harrisburg Heat
- Milwaukee Wave Brings Win Streak to 4 After Victory over St. Louis Sunday - Milwaukee Wave
- Blast Clinch Playoff Spot with 8-2 Victory over Heat - Baltimore Blast
- Diegues Nets Team Record Five as Tropics Roll Past Kansas City Comets, 12-8 - Florida Tropics SC
- Comets Split Two-Game Road Trip - Kansas City Comets
- Ambush Drop One on the Road to Milwaukee - St. Louis Ambush
- MetroStars Earn 9-3 Win over Utica - Mississauga MetroStars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Tropics Close Third Season in MASL with 6-4 Road Loss to Rival SeaWolves
- Record Crowd Can't Root Home Tropics to Win as Blast Take 4-2 Triumph
- Home Season Finale Saturday as Three-Time Defending MASL Champ Baltimore Blast Visits
- Tropics Can't Erase Four-Goal Deficit as Comets Roll to 6-2 Win
- Tropics Hope to Repeat Success of Last Home Start as KC Comets Visit Lakeland Saturday