Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Kofi Opare
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club announced today the signing of defender Kofi Opare to a one-year contract. Opare joins Colorado after spending five seasons at D.C. United.
"Kofi is a talented centerback who will help bring depth and experience to our back line," said Rapids Executive Vice President & General Manager, Pádraig Smith. "He has spent the majority of preseason training with the team, so he has already integrated himself into our group and has adapted well to our style of play and tactics."
While at D.C. United, Opare, made 65 appearances, 62 from the start, scoring three goals and notching one assist. Last season Opare featured in 11 matches and logged 863 minutes as D.C. United reached the Knockout Round of the 2018 MLS Playoffs.
A native of Mampong, Ghana, Opare was drafted in the second round (No. 24 overall) in the 2013 SuperDraft by the LA Galaxy. Opare made 12 appearances and struck one goal in his two seasons with the Galaxy.
The 6-foot-2 defender attended the University of Michigan from 2009-12 where he ranks 13th overall in matches played with 76. In 2009 he was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team and to the Second Team All-Big Ten in 2011.
Opare will be added to the Rapids roster as a domestic player.
For all Rapids-related news, follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids - February 25, 2019 - Colorado Rapids have signed defender Kofi Opare to a one-year contract.
Full Name: Kofi Opare (CO-fee oh-PAR-ee)
Weight: 190 lbs.
Birth Date: October 12, 1990
Birthplace: Mampong, Ghana
Hometown: Niagara Falls, Ontario
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 25, 2019
- Sounders FC Unveils "Nightfall" Secondary Kit for 2019 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fan Experience at BBVA Compass Stadium Receiving Several Upgrades Ahead of 2019 Dynamo Season - Houston Dynamo
- Midfielder Ken Krolicki Successfully Undergoes Surgery - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy ready to begin 2019 MLS campaign with Home Opener against Chicago Fire on Saturday, March 2 at 5 p.m. PT on FS1 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Acquires Defender Niko Hamalainen on Loan - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Welcomes Marvin Lewis' "Learning Is Coolâ? Program - FC Cincinnati
- ESPN+ and Major League Soccer Present Groundbreaking Sports Reality Series WE ARE LAFC - MLS
- LA Galaxy and Dignity Health Sports Park Announce Creation of Legends Plaza - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Kofi Opare - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United and the Embassy of the State of Qatar Host Kick It with Qatar - D.C. United
- New England Revolution Sign DeJuan Jones - New England Revolution
- Whitecaps FC Expand to Full Lower Bowl for March 2 Season Opener - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Toronto FC Signs Goalkeeper Quentin Westberg - Toronto FC
- ESPN+ and Major League Soccer Present Groundbreaking Sports Reality Series, 'We Are LAFC' - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Announces Grassroots Partnership with Cumberland-Capital United Soccer - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Postgame Note: Los Angeles FC 3, Colorado Rapids 1
- Postgame Notes: Colorado Rapids 3, FC Dallas 0
- Postgame Note: Sporting Kansas City 2, Colorado Rapids 3
- Colorado Rapids to Host Memorial Service in Honor of Colin Clark
- Postgame Note: Toronto FC 3, Colorado Rapids 2