CONEY ISLAND, NY - Behind Long Island native Frank Valentino's nine-strikeout performance, the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, cliched a postseason berth with a 4-1 victory over the Staten Island Yankees Monday afternoon at MCU Park. With the win, the Cyclones clich their first McNamara Division title since 2010, and first playoff berth since 2012.
For the full box score, click here.
For the full highlights, click here.
W: Valentino (2-4)
L: Mejias (2-1)
SV: Santos (1)
- Frank Valentino struck out nine batters over 5 1/3 innings, allowing one hit and one run with two walks in a victory that sends the Cyclones to playoffs.
- Brooklyn rallied for three runs in the bottom of the third, scoring on an RBI single from Wilmer Reyes and a two-run double by Luke Ritter to take a 3-0 advantage.
- Nick MacDonald, Hunter Parsons, and Reyson Santos combined to throw 3 2/3 scoreless innings, striking out seven batters.
- Mets rehabber Robinson Cano, playing as the designated hitter, went 0-3 with an RBI groundout.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Frank Valentino: W, 5.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 K
- Luke Ritter: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Wilmer Reyes: 2-3, 2B, RBI, BB, R
- Nick MacDonald: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 K
NEWS & NOTES
- Brooklyn begins the playoffs at Hudson Valley Wednesday night, opening up a three-game series. The two will play Wednesday at Hudson Valley, Thursday in Brooklyn, and Friday in Brooklyn if necessary.
- The Cyclones finish the season 43-32, closing with the most wins since the 2012 season.
Cyclones at Hudson Valley Renegades - New York Penn League Semifinals
Dutchess Stadium - Wappingers Falls, NY
Probables: RHP Michel Otanez (2-1, 2.97 ERA) vs. TBA
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Clinching 'Clones - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spikes Finish 39-36, Season Finale against 'Cutters Halted by Rain Tied at 3-3 - State College Spikes
- Doubledays Wrap up Season with Loss to Batavia - Auburn Doubledays
- Renegades Drop Finale to Ironbirds - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Cutters Finish 2019 in Suspended Tie Game - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Black Bears Finish the 2019 Season in Second Place - West Virginia Black Bears
- Tigers Fall in Final Contest to Conclude 2019 Season - Connecticut Tigers
- Three Run Third, Strong Pitching Lead Spinners to Victory - Lowell Spinners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.