Clemens Paces RedHawks For Thursday Win
Nashville, Tenn. - Koby Clemens hit a go-ahead three-run home run in the fifth inning and brought in the game-winning run with a ninth inning fielder's choice, leading the Oklahoma City RedHawks (3-5) to a 6-5 win over the Nashville Sounds (5-3) in front of 4,598 Thursday night at Greer Stadium.
Reliever Casey Fien (1-0) struck out five in two innings while allowing one hit for the winning decision. Jose Valdez (2) saved the game with a one-hit ninth inning. Nashville reliever Chase Wright (0-1) took the loss after allowing the go-ahead run in the ninth inning.
RedHawks starter Ryan Rowland-Smith allowed four runs over two innings, with six hits, including two first inning home runs but did not factor in the decision after the offense took the lead.
Brendan Katin belted a two-run home run off Rowland-Smith followed by a Brandon Boggs solo shot in the first inning, opening a 3-0 lead for Nashville. In the second inning, Mat Gamel singled in Anderson Machado with two out for a 4-0 score.
Oklahoma City cut the lead in half in the third inning as Tommy Manzella belted a two-run ground rule double to right-center, cutting the score to 4-2.
In the fifth inning, Nashville starter Josh Butler gave up a Manzella infield single and a Brian Bogusevic base hit before Koby Clemens belted a three-run home run to left-center, his first of the season, opening a 5-4 RedHawks lead.
Nashville tied the game in the seventh inning. Brett Carroll drew a leadoff walk, moved to second on a Gamel hit by pitch and scored on a two-out Martin Maldonado single for a 5-5 score.
The RedHawks took the lead for good in the ninth inning. Brian Dopirak reached on a walk, and his pinch runner J.B. Shuck was out on a force play at second on a Collin Delome fielder's choice. Manzella singled and Bogusevic walked to load the bases. Clemens next rolled a grounder deep in the hole at shortstop, forcing a throw to third for an out, while allowing Delome to score from third for a 6-5 lead.
RedHawks RH Fernando Nieve will face Albuquerque Isotopes RH John Ely in the 2011 Home Opener Friday at 7:05 p.m. at RedHawks Field at Bricktown. The game is sold out. Live radio coverage will be available on AM 1340 The Game, online at 1340thegame.com and through the IHeartRadio application on mobile devices.
Tickets for other RedHawks games, the Bedlam series and the Big 12 Baseball Tournament are available through the RedHawks ticket office by calling (405) 218-1000 or by visiting www.okcredhawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 14, 2011
- Tucson Padres Come Back To Beat The Salt Lake Bees - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Fall to Fresno in Extra Innings - Tacoma Rainiers
- Clemens Paces RedHawks For Thursday Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Split Series With RedHawks With 6-5 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Express Cash In For Sweep Of Omaha - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Sweeps Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Albuquerque Clipped by Cubs 10-6 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Zephyrs Sweep Redbirds in Series - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Top 'Topes, 10-6 - Iowa Cubs
- Colorado Springs Sky Sox Defeat Reno Aces in 18-13 Slugfest - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Gotay HR Gives Z's 5th Consecutive Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Aces Drop Series Finale, 18-13, to Sky Sox - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Game Notes Vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Storm Chasers Ready to Entertain at Werner Park Opener - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tucson Padres Unveil Opening Night Plans - Tucson Padres
- Adopt a Dog and Fetch a Redbirds Ticket - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Topes Endure Injuries, Cubs in 10-7 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- OKC Dodgers to Unveil Alternate "Es Divertido Ser Un Fan" Identity
- OKC Dodgers Hosting Fourth Annual Fan Fest March 31
- OKC Dodgers Rookie League Registration Event Saturday in Bricktown
- Deadline Approaching to Sign up for OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy
- Annual OKC Dodgers High School Baseball Series Begins this Week