Chisholm's Homer Ignites Offense
Geneva, Illinois - Jazz Chisholm's two-run homer in the bottom of the third inning sparked the Kane County Cougars (32-33) to a 6-2 win over the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Wednesday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field.
The Kernels (30-35) capitalized on Royce Lewis' one-out double. Lewis advanced to third on an error and scored on an RBI single by Jose Miranda. After eight of the first nine Cougar batters were retired, Jancarlos Cintron was hit by a pitch with two strikes, two outs and the bases empty in the bottom of the third. The next batter, Jazz Chisholm cracked his ninth homer of the year to put the Cougars in front, 2-1.
The Cougars added on in the fourth inning when Luis Lara wrapped an RBI single in the hole between first and second. Cedar Rapids cut the Cougar lead to one run in the fifth on Andrew Bechtold's bases-loaded walk. The Cougars got that run right back in the bottom of the fifth after Jazz Chisholm tripled and scored on Renae Martinez's sacrifice fly. In the sixth, the Cougars scored twice more on Cintron's RBI single and a bases-loaded walk for Martinez.
Mack Lemieux (2-5) earned the win for the Cougars, tossing five innings of two run (one earned) ball. Erbert Gonzalez notched a hold with 1.2 innings of shutout ball. Carlos Bustamante (3) took the save with 2.1 innings over scoreless ball.
Brusdar Graterol (2-2) took the loss, allowing three runs on five hits over four innings. Carlos Suniaga came out of the pen and allowed three runs over an inning. Jovani Moran tallied three shutout frames.
The Cougars six-game homestand continues Thursday with the finale of the three-game series against Cedar Rapids. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. For tickets, call 630-232-8811 or order online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Dragons Top Cubs 2-1 to Win Series - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings fall in come from behind fashion - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Rally, Pick up Crucial 5-4 Win over Clinton - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Edge Chiefs 4-3 - Peoria Chiefs
- 'Caps Lose Fourth Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Earn Third Straight Win Behind Hansen's Grand Slam - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Pitchers Shine in 2-1 Win at South Bend - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Split Two Games with TinCaps, both 4-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees Edge Rattlers 1-0 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Romp to Second Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Snappers to Close out First Half with a Bang - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Games 64 & 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Noda Homers Again, and So Does Lundquist - But Nuts Fall, 11-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chisholm's Homer Ignites Offense - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Win Wednesday Matinee - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Loehr and Bullpen Lead Snappers in 6-3 Win - Beloit Snappers
- Isaacs Does It Again - Captains Walk-Off Lugnuts - Lake County Captains
- Traver's Solid Start Along with Del Rosario's Relief Outing Earns Burlington the Victory - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.