Chicago Sky Unveils New Uniforms Ahead of 2021 WNBA Season
CHICAGO - As the WNBA prepares for its 25th season, Nike and the WNBA collaborated to unveil a uniform collection that helps set the league's foundation for the next 25 years and beyond.
The new WNBA uniform system from Nike feature three game uniform editions for each of the 12 teams in the league, bringing stories from their cities and communities to life through the muse of female archetypes in storytelling and film: the WNBA Nike Heroine Edition, the WNBA Nike Explorer Edition and the WNBA Nike Rebel Edition.
"This is the first time in league history that uniforms have represented the city that they are in," said Sky General Manager and Head Coach James Wade. "Pinstripes are something that run deep in Chicago culture. It's been 60-some years that pinstripes have represented our great city - starting with the Cubs, White Sox and then the Bulls - and now we are able to continue to carry on that legacy."
Overall WNBA Nike HER Uniform System:
The WNBA now has three game uniform editions for each of the 12 teams in the league - the WNBA Nike Heroine Edition, the WNBA Nike Explorer Edition and the WNBA Nike Rebel Edition.
Each game jersey is numbered 1/144, honoring the elite athletes in the WNBA.
Players have a range of options and are covered on the court and off- practice, travel and lifestyle. For the first time, a full Game Theater system features 53 pieces of apparel for players, coaches and staff.
Chicago Sky Nike Heroine Edition and Chicago Sky Nike Explorer Edition:
On the Chicago Sky Nike Heroine and Explorer Edition uniforms, audacious vertical stripes reminiscent of both a women's power suit and the Windy City's skyline ascend from the hem in powerful strokes-a reminder of the ambitious, fearless and gravity-defying nature of the team, fans and women who call Chi-Town home.
The 10x10 pinstripe grid represents Chicago's city blocks and the 5-on-5 players on the court.
Chicago is known as the birthplace of the Skyscraper, which your eyes are drawn to as the pinstripes fade away into the Chicago fog to reveal the jersey wordmark.
Chicago Sky Nike Rebel Edition:
"I remember saying last year that we didn't have a ceiling because we were the Sky, and the blue uniforms represent that - as you can see on the design," Wade said. "It's a glass ceiling that is breaking, and that's what we'll try to live up to every night."
With shattered lines and a cool hue, the Chicago Sky Nike Rebel Edition uniform is a reminder to all women that nothing can stop a team of women born from the heart of the Windy City.
"I'm very excited about our new jerseys this season," said Chicago Sky center Stefanie Dolson. "Nike did an incredible job of representing this beautiful city of Chicago with cool designs and patterns and the first couldn't be more perfect! I'm excited to wear them and win some in these jerseys!
Player jerseys and team apparel will be available for purchase beginning April 14 on the Chicago Sky retail store at sky.wnba.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 8, 2021
- Nike, WNBA Unveil New Uniform Collection for 2021 - Las Vegas Aces
- Chicago Sky Unveils New Uniforms Ahead of 2021 WNBA Season - Chicago Sky
- Connecticut Sun Uniform Unveil - Connecticut Sun
- Introducing the WNBA's Nike Uniform Editions and Apparel Collection - Washington Mystics
- Seattle Storm Unveil Three New Uniforms for 2021 SeasonÃÂ - Seattle Storm
- Atlanta Dream and NIKE, Inc. Announce New WNBA Uniforms - Atlanta Dream
- Mercury, WNBA and Nike Inc. Unveil New H.E.R Uniform System - Phoenix Mercury
- Introducing the WNBA's Nike Uniform Editions and Apparel Collection - WNBA
- NIKE, Inc. Unveils New WNBA Jerseys Ahead of 25th Season - Los Angeles Sparks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Sky Stories
- Chicago's Stefanie Dolson, Team USA Win Historic Gold in 3x3 Women's Basketball Debut
- Sky's Allie Quigley Wins Third MTN DEW 3-Point Contest
- 2x 3-Point Champion Allie Quigley Seeks Third Title
- Parker, Vandersloot, Copper and Quigley Set for 2021 WNBA All-Star
- Multiple Sky Players Make History; Chicago Falls to Mystics in OT Thriller, 85-89