Introducing the WNBA's Nike Uniform Editions and Apparel Collection
The Washington Mystics, in collaboration with Nike, released new uniforms for the 2021 WNBA season. The new Mystics Nike Rebel Edition uniform seeks to echo the historic moments for gender, racial and LGBTQ+ equality voiced throughout our Nation's capital. Attached are pictures of the new jerseys and for more information on each set of uniforms, visit www.mysticsrise.com.
The following was announced by Nike this morning.
INTRODUCING THE WNBA'S UNIFORM EDITIONS AND APPAREL COLLECTION
As the WNBA prepares for its 25th season, Nike and the WNBA collaborated to unveil a uniform collection that helps set the league's foundation for the next 25 years and beyond.
Nike has partnered with the WNBA for its game uniforms since 2018, but there was clearly more to be done - more personalization, more options, more storytelling, and more attention to the careful dialing-in of performance features.
Sharper creative expression and refined-fit insights directly from players guide the new Nike uniform system and apparel offering for the WNBA as the league embarks on its 25th season.
The new WNBA uniform system from Nike feature three game uniform editions for each of the 12 teams in the league, bringing stories from their cities and communities to life through the muse of female archetypes in storytelling and film: the WNBA Nike Heroine Edition, the WNBA Nike Explorer Edition and the WNBA Nike Rebel Edition.
"The basketball uniform is an important representation of the brand of WNBA players and teams, and a point of pride for fans," said WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert. "In partnership with Nike, unveiling new and exciting adaptations of the WNBA uniforms is a dynamic way to build on the foundation of the league's first 25 years."
Inside the Uniforms:
Each WNBA game jersey is numbered 1/144, honoring the 144 elite athletes who earned their place in the world's premier women's basketball league.
Athlete numbers are returning to the front of the game jersey.
The game shorts have more room in the thighs and the glutes, and the game jerseys add more room across the chest plus overall proportion adjustments. The game jerseys also feature an assortment of three necklines: a round-neck, a V-neck and the wishbone neckline exclusive to the WNBA.
Offering more than 50 pieces of apparel for players, coaches and staff, the Game Theater collection includes travel jackets, sweats, hoodies and more.
WITH THE WNBA, NIKE EMBRACES A PARTNERSHIP BUILT ON PROGRESS THROUGH SPORT
The launch of the Nike WNBA uniform collection stems from a deeper partnership built on progress through sport.
"In 2021, Nike has a responsibility in our league partnerships to invest at a level that stands for something more," said Sonja Henning, Nike VP, North America League Partnerships. "We have to make sure that 'for all' means inclusivity into a community where women can participate in sport, and in the conversations that only sport can open up."
Nike and the WNBA's partnership through programs and initiatives indicates the way both groups see women's sport - as a position of influence for spectacular athletes and for leaders shaping the future of women's sport and beyond.
The energy from within the WNBA to move beyond the box score as the metric for the league's progress challenges partners like Nike to transcend its relationship beyond donations or branded gear. To that end, Nike is an inaugural member of the WNBA Changemakers collective, which recognizes values-driven businesses who are helping lead the way in the advancement of women in sports.
"Nike's support as an inaugural WNBA Changemaker will enable us to continue transforming our league in key areas, and through our partnership, Nike continues to raise the bar in stepping up and supporting the current and next generation of elite athletes," said WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert. "We're grateful for their steadfast support of the league and the athletes of the WNBA, contributing to a bright future for women's sports."
"Twenty-five years ago, the WNBA was a league that none of us knew was possible," said Henning. "Today, we're in an empowering moment for women's basketball players, but also for female and non-binary athletes across all sports. I can't wait for what the next 25 years hold."
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 8, 2021
- Nike, WNBA Unveil New Uniform Collection for 2021 - Las Vegas Aces
- Chicago Sky Unveils New Uniforms Ahead of 2021 WNBA Season - Chicago Sky
- Connecticut Sun Uniform Unveil - Connecticut Sun
- Introducing the WNBA's Nike Uniform Editions and Apparel Collection - Washington Mystics
- Seattle Storm Unveil Three New Uniforms for 2021 SeasonÃÂ - Seattle Storm
- Atlanta Dream and NIKE, Inc. Announce New WNBA Uniforms - Atlanta Dream
- Mercury, WNBA and Nike Inc. Unveil New H.E.R Uniform System - Phoenix Mercury
- Introducing the WNBA's Nike Uniform Editions and Apparel Collection - WNBA
- NIKE, Inc. Unveils New WNBA Jerseys Ahead of 25th Season - Los Angeles Sparks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Mystics Stories
- Shatori Walker-Kimbrough Grants D.C. Family Back-To-School Shopping Spree at Tanger Outlets National Harbor
- Shatori Walker-Kimbrough to Grant D.C. Family Back-To-School Shopping Spree at Tanger Outlets National Harbor
- Capital One Arena Opens for a Summertime Garage Sale of Capitals, Wizards & Mystics-Branded Merchandise
- Three Nonprofits to Support 5,000 Families with a Free Back-To-School Event
- Tina Charles Named Kia WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month