Chicago Red Stars Submit 10-Player Protected List Before Expansion Draft
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- The Chicago Red Stars of Women's Professional Soccer announce today their 10-player protected list in conjunction with the Nov. 4 WPS Expansion Draft.
The following players from the Red Stars' 2010 roster have been protected:
Goalkeeper: Karina LeBlanc, Jillian Loyden
Defenders: Marian Dalmy, Whitney Engen, Natalie Spilger
Midfielders: Karen Carney, Megan Rapinoe
Forwards: Veronica Boquete, Ella Masar, Casey Nogueira
Red Stars Head Coach Omid Namazi emphasized the importance of having two high-quality goalkeepers, even if it means Karina LeBlanc and Jillian Loyden are participating in the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany with their respective Canadian and U.S. national teams.
"We know that Karina is definitely involved with her Canadian team, and Jill that's yet to be determined. We felt that there needs to be competition at that spot," Namazi said. "We felt that Jill didn't have that competition day in and day out this past season, so this gives us a chance to have that."
Of the team's typical starters during the 2010 WPS season, Brazilian midfielder Formiga currently is a free agent and the organization expects to re-sign her, Namazi said. Earlier in the offseason Chicago released Brazilian forward Cristiane so she could play for Santos FC, and midfielder Katie Chapman was mutually released as she returned to England to play for Arsenal. U.S. Soccer announced the retirement of center defensive back Kate Markgraf last week.
The Red Stars' 10-player list includes the team's 2010 scoring leader Ella Masar, who currently is on loan with LSK Kvinner FK in Norway, late-season addition and Spanish international Veronica Boquete, as well as the bulk of the defensive back line in outside backs Marian Dalmy and Natalie Spilger and center back Whitney Engen.
The seven WPS franchises from the 2010 season submitted their protected players list as expansion franchise Western New York begins to stock its roster for the 2011 season.
The Nov. 4 expansion draft consists of Western New York selecting up to nine players. After an existing WPS team loses a first player to a pick, it can add one other player to its protected list. If a team loses a second player in the expansion draft, all other players from that team are protected. No existing WPS team can lose more than two players to selections in the expansion draft process. The draft starts at 3 p.m. CT on Nov. 4, and fans can follow along on WPS's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/womensprosoccer.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from October 20, 2010
- Breakers Protect Ten Players from WPS Expansion Draft - Boston Breakers
- FC Gold Pride Lock in 11 for 2011 - FC Gold Pride
- Beat Come to Terms with Chalupny, Ellertson, Sesselmann; Protects Heath and Aluko - Atlanta Beat
- First 2011 Player Signings Announced - Sky Blue FC
- Chicago Red Stars Submit 10-Player Protected List Before Expansion Draft - Chicago Red Stars
- WPS Releases Protected List for 2010 Expansion Draft - Boston Breakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Chicago to Host the Portland Thorns in Home Opener
- Four Red Stars Named to U.S. WNT SheBelieves Cup Training Camp Roster
- Chicago Red Stars to Participate in 2020 Portland Thorns Spring Invitational
- Chicago Announces Technical & Medical Staff
- Craig Harrington Departs from Red Stars Coaching Staff