Breakers Protect Ten Players from WPS Expansion Draft
NORWOOD, Mass. (October 20, 2010) -- Women's Professional Soccer announced Wednesday the players available from its seven current teams for the 2010 WPS Expansion Draft scheduled for November 4. The Western New York franchise - the eighth team for the 2011 WPS Season - will begin stocking its roster during the 2010 Expansion Draft, in which it can draft players from the unprotected list. Free agents and protected players may not be selected in the Expansion Draft. Each existing franchise was permitted to protect a maximum of ten players currently under contract for the 2011 season.
In preparation for the draft, the Boston Breakers exercised contract options on eight players for the 2011 season on Tuesday, October 20th. The Breakers renewed the contracts of forwards Lauren Cheney and Taryn Hemmings, midfielders Jordan Angeli, Liz Bogus and Kristine Lilly, defender Ifeoma Dieke and goalkeepers Alyssa Naeher and Ashley Phillips. Breakers players Amy LePeilbet, Leslie Osborne, Alex Scott and Kelly Smith were already under multi-year contracts which did not require option decisions. The Breakers declined to renew the option of Brazilian forward Fabiana, who will now enter free agency as a result.
Following the contract renewal process, the Breakers submitted a list of 10 protected players and four exposed players to the WPS league office shortly before the midnight deadline on the evening of October 19th. The following Breakers players have been protected from the expansion draft process:
- Jordan Angeli
- Lauren Cheney
- Ifeoma Dieke
- Taryn Hemmings
- Amy LePeilbet
- Kristine Lilly
- Alyssa Naeher
- Leslie Osborne
- Alex Scott
- Kelly Smith
The Breakers have exposed two players currently under contract to the expansion draft. They are midfielder Liz Bogus and goalkeeper Ashley Phillips. In addition, the Breakers have exposed the WPS negotiating rights to two unsigned players to the expansion draft. The team has exposed the negotiating rights to South Korean forward Ji So-Yun and the negotiating rights to former Loyola University forward Cynthia Morote-Ariza. The Breakers acquired the rights to So-Yun via the international discovery process on August 17th, 2010. The Breakers selected Morote-Ariza in the fifth round (#43 overall) of the 2010 WPS Draft. Morote-Ariza suffered a season-ending knee injury prior to signing a WPS playing contract.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from October 20, 2010
- Breakers Protect Ten Players from WPS Expansion Draft - Boston Breakers
- FC Gold Pride Lock in 11 for 2011 - FC Gold Pride
- Beat Come to Terms with Chalupny, Ellertson, Sesselmann; Protects Heath and Aluko - Atlanta Beat
- First 2011 Player Signings Announced - Sky Blue FC
- Chicago Red Stars Submit 10-Player Protected List Before Expansion Draft - Chicago Red Stars
- WPS Releases Protected List for 2010 Expansion Draft - Boston Breakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Breakers Stories
- Boston Breakers Announce 2017 Home Opener
- Boston Breakers Sign Defender Amanda Frisbie
- Boston Breakers Sign French Midfielder Ghoutia Karchouni
- Boston Breakers Announce 2016 Season Opening Roster
- Boston Breakers Sign Goalkeeper Abby Smith, Forward Brittany Ratcliffe