FC Gold Pride Lock in 11 for 2011
HAYWARD, CA (September 20, 2010) - Reigning WPS Champion FC Gold Pride has begun to make offseason moves as the team prepares to defend its title in 2011.
"This is an exciting and critical time for our team," said General Manager Ilisa Kessler. "We are focused on putting together a strong team for 2011 as we prepare to defend our title. The Pride's roster will evolve during the offseason as we look to infuse the team with new talent and bring back a number of familiar faces. We are still waiting to see the impact of international competition on our roster. As nations qualify for the World Cup, we will get a better understanding of who in the WPS talent pool we want to bring to the Pride. There is no shortage of talent out there."
The Pride has exercised the team's option for eight of the 20 players from the 2010 WPS Championship roster, retaining Kiki Bosio, Brittany Cameron, Carrie Dew, Becky Edwards, Kristen Graczyk, Tiffeny Milbrett, Kandace Wilson and Kim Yokers.
Two-Time and reigning WPS MVP Marta will also remain with the Pride on a guaranteed contract for 2011. WPS Rookie of the Year Ali Riley has also inked a new contract for 2011. Midfielder Rosie Tantillo was signed to a contract and moved to the Pride's full roster.
In preparation for the 2011 season, the league will hold an expansion draft on November 4, to allow Buffalo to begin building its roster for its inaugural season. Each of the seven existing teams will be required to unprotect a minimum of three of its players to allow Buffalo a fair opportunity to pick from the existing talent in the league. The Pride has elected to protect Kiki Bosio, Carrie Dew, Becky Edwards, Kristen Graczyk, Marta, Tiffeny Milbrett, Ali Riley and Kandace Wilson.
Additionally, the Pride has declined to exercise the team option in the existing contracts of Nicole Barnhart, Candace Chapman, Kelley O'Hara and Christine Sinclair; these players will become free agents along with Shannon Boxx, Rachel Buehler, Niki Cross and Erin Guthrie whose contracts expired at the end of the 2010 season.
Internationals Camille Abily and Solveig Gulbrandsen, whose contracts have already been terminated, are also free agents.
Following the WPS imposed October 19 signing deadline, the Pride's roster was officially reduced to 11 players. The team will have plenty of opportunities to rebuild its roster in the coming offseason months.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from October 20, 2010
- Breakers Protect Ten Players from WPS Expansion Draft - Boston Breakers
- FC Gold Pride Lock in 11 for 2011 - FC Gold Pride
- Beat Come to Terms with Chalupny, Ellertson, Sesselmann; Protects Heath and Aluko - Atlanta Beat
- First 2011 Player Signings Announced - Sky Blue FC
- Chicago Red Stars Submit 10-Player Protected List Before Expansion Draft - Chicago Red Stars
- WPS Releases Protected List for 2010 Expansion Draft - Boston Breakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Gold Pride Stories
- FC Gold Pride Well Represented on FIFA's World Player of the Year and World Coach of the Year Shortl
- FC Gold Pride Lock in 11 for 2011
- WPS Champions Barnhart, Boxx, Buehler Named to USWNT Roster For World Cup Qualifiers
- FC Gold Pride Forward Marta Appointed as United Nations Goodwill Ambassador
- FC Gold Pride Mutually Terminates Contract of Camille Abily