Chicago Fire Select Defender Cory Gibbs in MLS Re-Entry Draft
CHICAGO, IL (Dec.15, 2010) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today it selected defender Cory Gibbs with the seventh selection in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry draft. The Fire have reached an agreement with Gibbs and he has been added to the club's roster. Per team and League policy, the details of the deal were not disclosed. The 30-year-old central defender joins the Fire after spending the 2010 MLS season with the New England Revolution.
Gibbs, a former U.S. international defender with 19 appearances for the U.S. Men's National Team, has made 52 appearances with the Colorado Rapids and New England Revolution since his return to MLS in 2008. The Brown University product began his career with FC St. Pauli of the German Bundesliga, appearing in 60 matches and tallying three goals from 2001-2003.
Following his three year stint in Germany, Gibbs returned to the states and made his MLS debut with FC Dallas (formerly Dallas Burn). The Fort Lauderdale, FL native started and appeared in 21 matches with the Burn, before leaving for Feyenoord in the Dutch Eredivisie. In his first year with the Dutch club he made 15 appearances, scoring one goal. Gibbs was loaned out to ADO Den Haag for the second half of the 2006 season before signing with English side Charlton Athletic. Due to injuries, Gibbs never appeared for the Addicks and made his return to MLS and was allocated to the Colorado Rapids in the summer of 2008.
Player: Cory Gibbs
Weight: 180 lbs.
Born: January 14, 1980
Place of Birth: Plantation, FL
Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Citizenship: United States
Last Club: New England Revolution
How Acquired: Selected 7th in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2010
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 15, 2010
- FC Dallas Acquires Goalkeeper Chris Seitz from Seattle Sounders FC - FC Dallas
- Tyrone Marshall Selected by Colorado Rapids in Re-Entry Process - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers to Hold Player Combine in California - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Announce Signing of Four Players for 2011 - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Acquires Rights to Defender/Midfielder Luke Sassano - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA Acquires Local Product Tristan Bowen in Trade with Galaxy - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids Select Tyrone Marshall in Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Process - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA Selects Defender Jimmy Conrad in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo Sign 2009 Best XI Selection Geoff Cameron to Contract Extension - Houston Dynamo
- 2010 MLS Re-Entry Process Stage 2 Results Announced - MLS
- Chicago Fire Select Defender Cory Gibbs in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Acquires Forward Josh Wolff - D.C. United
- Travelling Fans to Receive Access to 500 Tickets in Northwest Markets - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Traveling Fans to Receive Access to 500 Tickets in Northwest Markets - Portland Timbers
- Travelling Fans to Receive Access to 500 Tickets in Northwest Markets - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Nicolas Hasler, Yura Movsisyan Receive International Call-Ups
- Chicago Fire Defender Christian Dean Retires from Professional Soccer
- Chicago Fire Defender Brandon Vincent to Retire from Professional Soccer
- Chicago Fire Battle D.C. United to 0-0 Draw at Toyota Park
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Forward Alan Gordon to Retire Following Today's Regular Season Finale