Chicago Falls to Sky Blue FC in Fall Series Finale
CHICAGO - Arin Wright and Casey Short make their Fall Series debuts while Morgan Gautrat scores in the second half as the Red Stars drop their Fall Series finale to Sky Blue FC, 3-1.
25' - Paige Monaghan scores off of Midge Purce's cross to open up the game's scoring and give Sky Blue a one-goal lead
35' - Ifeoma Onumonu scores from a Monaghan assist to push Sky Blue's lead to two
45+2' Purce finds Monaghan in the box again, who scores to give Sky Blue a three-goal lead into the half.
88' Tierna Davidson sends a ball into the box that finds Morgan Gautrat, who heads the ball in for Chicago's first goal
At the beginning of the second half, Arin Wright subbed into the game for her first appearance since 2019. Wright, who last appeared in Chicago's game against Orlando last year on August 22nd, played 33 minutes in her 2020 debut before being subbed off at the 77' minute for Katie Johnson. After announcing her pregnancy, Wright missed the remainder of the Red Stars 2019 season and did not travel with the team for the Challenge Cup this summer.
2020 saw a year where the Red Stars' previous two draft classes were on full display at both the Challenge Cup and Fall Series. The Red Stars' full 2020 draft class (Camryn Biegalski, Zoe Morse, Ella Stevens, Aerial Chavarin) all made their debuts during gameplay this year, along with members from the 2019 class making their debuts or seeing expanded roles (Bianca St. Georges, Hannah Davison, Kayla Sharples). Despite not being drafted by Chicago, rookies Sarah Luebbert and Dani Rhodes also made significant contributions to the team during the Fall Series.
This past Thursday the U.S. Women's National Team announced its roster for their training camp to be held on October 18-28, which saw Tierna Davidson, Morgan Gautrat, Sarah Gorden, Alyssa Naeher, Casey Short, and Kealia Watt all named to the USWNT camp. With six representatives, the Red Stars have the most players on an NWSL roster to be named to a National Team camp at a single time.
Sky Blue FC vs Chicago Red Stars
October 10, 2020
MSU Soccer Park at Pittser Field (Montclair, NJ)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Sky Blue FC 3 0 0
Chicago Red Stars 0 1 0
NJ: Monaghan 25', 45+2' (Purce 25', 45+2'), Onumonu 35' (Monaghan)
CHI: Gautrat 88' (Davidson)
CHI: Davidson 10' (yellow card)
NJ: Skroski 50' (yellow card)
CHI: GK Naeher, D Short (Goralski 53'), D Gorden, D Davidson, D St. Georges (Morse 45'), M Gautrat, M Colaprico, M DiBernardo, F McCaskill, F Watt, F Luebbert (Wright 45', Wright 77')
NJ: GK Sheridan, D Johnson, D Skroski (Howell 88'), D Dorsey, D Freeman, M Woldmoe, M Baxter (Flores 70'), M Richardson, F Purce, F Onumonu, F Monaghan
Images from this story
Chicago Red Stars exchange congratulations
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from October 10, 2020
- Thorns FC Claim 2020 Verizon Community Shield with 2-1 Win over Ol Reign - Portland Thorns FC
- Pair of Penalties Sink OL Reign against Portland - OL Reign
- Thorns FC Conclude NWSL Fall Series with Road Match against OL Reign - Portland Thorns FC
- Sky Blue Closes Fall Series with 3-1 Win against Chicago - Sky Blue FC
- Chicago Falls to Sky Blue FC in Fall Series Finale - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Chicago Red Stars Acquire NWSL Playing Rights to Haley VanFossen and Jill Aguilera
- 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup Set to be Played in Home Markets; Kickoff Scheduled for April 9
- Bianca St.Georges Selected for Canada's Upcoming National Team Training Camp
- Chicago Red Stars to Participate in Inaugural International Women's Cup
- Chicago Drafts Five, Acquires 2021 International Spot in 2021 NWSL College Draft