Charlotte's John Muse Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
March 31, 2014 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Charlotte Checkers goaltender John Muse has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Mar. 30, 2014.
Muse stopped 105 of 108 shots in four appearances last week, going 4-0-0 with a 0.81 goals-against average and a .972 save percentage to propel the Checkers into a playoff position in the Western Conference.
Entering the week three points out of eighth place in the West, Charlotte got a 24-save effort from Muse on Tuesday night in a 2-1 road win over Iowa. Muse followed that up Wednesday with 22 saves and his fourth shutout of the season as the Checkers blanked the Wild, 7-0. As Charlotte returned home for a pair of critical weekend games against Oklahoma City, Muse stopped 32 of 34 shots plus five of six shootout attempts in a 3-2 victory on Saturday night, then came on in relief Sunday afternoon and turned aside all 27 shots he faced before going 4-for-5 in the shootout for a 5-4 victory.
Charlotte's eight-point week allowed them to move into eighth place in the Western Conference, four points ahead of Oklahoma City.
A two-time NCAA champion at Boston College (2008, 2010), Muse has a record of 26-12-0 in 40 games for Charlotte this season - tied for third in the league in victories - with a 2.57 GAA, a .919 save percentage and four shutouts. The 25-year-old native of East Falmouth, Mass., has made 72 career appearances in the AHL with Charlotte and Portland, and is 44-22-3 with a 2.54 GAA, a .918 save percentage and six shutouts.
In recognition of his achievement, Muse will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Checkers home game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 31, 2014
- Coaching Milestone and Playoff Chase Make Some Noise - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Heat Announce Playoff Tickets on Sale April 1st - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Sign Collin Valcourt - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Release Lyon and Ostrow - Abbotsford Heat
- Klimchuk Assigned to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Blue Jackets Reassign Austin Madaisky From Springfield To Evansville - Springfield Falcons
- Right Wing Joel Vermin Joins Crunch, Geoff Walker Assigned to Florida - Syracuse Crunch
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Continue Nine-Game Road Trip - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bulldogs Sign Forwards Connor Crisp, Brady Vail - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks To Honor One Fan As "7th Man Fan Of The Year" - Rochester Americans
- Heat Sign Zach Tolkinen - Abbotsford Heat
- Paterson Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivalry Weekend Goes Rockford's Way - Rockford IceHogs
- Pittsburgh Assigns Hartzell to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Charlotte's John Muse Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Sound Tigers Sign Harris to ATO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Shinnimin, Teammates, and Matching Donors Raise $4,685 for Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center - Portland Pirates
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Patrik Nemeth from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Ottawa Recalls Pageau on Emergency Basis - Binghamton Senators
- Bears Complete Perfect Home Stand, Pull One Point Out of Eighth - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.