Charlotte FC Forward Karol Świderski Voted MLS Player of the Week
CHARLOTTE, NC - Charlotte FC striker Karol Świderski was voted MLS Player of the Week after leading a 3-2 comeback victory over Chicago Fire FC to keep CLTFC in the playoff chase.
In the win against the Fire at Soldier Field, Charlotte FC entered halftime down 2-0. In the second half, Świderski scored in the 68th minute to bring the match within one before Nuno Santos equalized in the 76th minute. The Polish international then scored the match-winner deep into stoppage time in the 96th minute, eliminating Chicago from playoff contention and keeping the Crown in the hunt.
The forward leads the team in goals (10), becoming the first player since 2018 to score double digit goals for an expansion side. He is also second on the team in assists (5) and is the first player in Charlotte FC history to be named MLS Player of the Week.
Świderski will now join the Poland National Team for their upcoming Nations League matches in preparation for the 2022 World Cup. First, they face the Netherlands in Warsaw on Thursday, September 22 at 2:45 p.m. ET.
Poland then travels to Cardiff for their final Nations League match against Wales on Sunday, September 25 at 2:45 p.m. ET. The first time these two teams met on June 1st, Świderski came off the bench to score a late match-winner in the 85th minute.
Team of the Week (3-4-3 Formation)
F: Karol Świderski (CLT), Brenner (CIN), William Agada (SKC)
M: Facundo Torres (ORL), Riqui Puig (LA), Gaston Brugman (LA), Santiago Moreno (POR)
D: Alistair Johnston (MTL), Alexander Callens (NYC), Julian Gressel (VAN)
GK: Andre Blake (PHI)
Coach: Nick Cushing (NYC)
Bench: Roman Celentano (CIN), Jakob Glesnes (PHI), Santiago Rodriguez (NYC), Hany Mukhtar (NSH), Jeremy Ebobisse (SJ), Carlos Vela (LAFC), Gonzalo Higuain (MIA)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2022
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 19, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Charlotte FC Forward Karol Świderski Voted MLS Player of the Week - Charlotte FC
- Charlotte FC Forward Karol Świderski Voted MLS Player of the Week Presented by Continental Tire - MLS
- Playoff Watch: How Does FC Cincinnati's Path to the Postseason Shape Up? - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Forward Jeremy Ebobisse Selected to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Santiago Moreno Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 32 - Portland Timbers
- Higuaín Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Brenner Earns MLS Team of the Week Honors for Week 32 - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution D/M Christian Makoun Called into Venezuela National Team - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Unified Team Closes Season with a Hard Fought 4-2 Loss to LA Galaxy Unified Team - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Playoff Tickets Now on Sale for Potential Home Playoff Match at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Matchday Guide: Leagues Cup Showcase - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Homegrown Midfielder, Chicago-Native Brian Gutiérrez to New Contract - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Extends Home Winning Streak to Nine with 3-1 Win over Houston - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Charlotte FC Sells Midfielder Jordy Alcívar to Independiente Del Valle
- Charlotte FC FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Watch Party: USA vs Wales
- Charlotte FC Signs Academy Product Nimfasha Berchimas to Homegrown Contract
- U.S. Youth National Team Call-Ups for U-16 Charlotte FC Academy PlayersÃÂ
- How Sabor Brought Authentic Latino Flavor to Charlotte and the Carolinas