Changes In Net For The Generals
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals announced Thursday, that veteran goaltender Jean-Francois Labbe has been placed on waivers and that they have called up young netminder Nick Niedert from Madison.
With Labbe's resume, the Generals had high hopes for their goaltending but following his rather shaky start to the 2009-10 season the team was forced to move in a different direction. Through 12 games played, Labbe is last in the league in goals against average with a 3.57 and second to last in save percentage with.895. He was 1-3-0-1 in his last five allowing 17 goals in that time and winless in his last three starts. Following his last start against Muskegon Nov. 29, Labbe was replaced in net by Nolan after allowing 3 goals in a span of 3:14.
In comparison, despite a 3-6-1 record, rookie Rob Nolan leads the league in save percentage with.930 and ranks third in goals against average with a 2.31. Often standing on his head making acrobatic saves, Nolan has given the Generals an opportunity to win every time he has been between the pipes. His record, save a 6-3 loss to Muskegon, has been the result of a lack of offensive production.
With Nolan taking the reins, the Generals called up 27-year old Nick Niedert from their affiliate the Madison IceMuskies to fill the number two role. Through 14 games played for the IceMuskies, Niedert posted a 6-6-2 record with a 3.78 GAA and.912 save percentage. He will be on the road with the team this weekend when they head to Illinois to take on the PrairieThunder Friday and the Quad City Mallards Sunday afternoon.
They return to Perani Arena Friday, December 18th welcoming Port Huron as they host Toys for Tots Night. Tickets are available at the Perani Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster. For group ticket information, call the Generals office at 810-744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from December 11, 2009
- Lindberg and Naurato Shootout Goals Give Icehawks 4-3 Victory - Port Huron Icehawks
- Thunder earns win - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Dayton Outlasts Mallards 7-5 - Quad City Mallards
- Dayton Gems Hunt Down The Quad City Mallards To Win 7-5 - Dayton Gems
- Generals Sign Boudreau - Flint Generals
- Changes In Net For The Generals - Flint Generals
- Dayton Gems Sign Forward Chris Myhro - Dayton Gems
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals