CF Montréal Take 2-0 Win over Chicago
MONTREAL - CF Montréal shut out the Chicago Fire FC 2-0 on Sunday afternoon at Stade Saputo, securing a third win in four games. Forward Romell Quioto scored the winning goal (60') while Chicago Fire FC defender Carlos Terán conceded an own goal (80') to seal the reult. With the three points, CFMTL climbs to fifth place in the Eastern Conference. The team will play its next regular season game at Lower.com Field on Saturday, September 25 at 7:30pm against the Columbus Crew (TVA Sports, 91.9 Sports, TSN 690). In the interim, the Club will be in Halifax Wednesday evening to face the HFX Wanderers FC at 5:00 pm in the Canadian Championship.
-Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic recorded his 11th assist of the season and seventh at Stade Saputo, tying the club record for home assists.
-With his game-winning goal and 75th career MLS start, forward Romell Quioto has three goals and two assists in his last four games played.
-With five saves made, goalkeeper James Pantemis recorded his third shutout of the season.
Post-game comments from Head Coach Wilfried Nancy, midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and defender Rudy Camacho are available here.
"We needed more speed in our game in the second half. We didn't particularly need to draw them out to get that speed because they were already set up with a low block. I asked the players to play faster and find players more between the lines to keep them off balance."
"I made a tactical adjustment at halftime. I told Samuel [Piette] that I was going to take him out. And I want to thank him for his reaction. He's our captain. I told him I was making a tactical change and he understood the reason. His spirit was beyond reproach. He galvanized the team and I'm grateful for that. That's why we won the game."
"There are always ups and downs in a season. It is important that this is the time when we start feeling good about each other. In my first year in Chicago, we went into our playoff game a little "under the table." This is the part of the season where, if you're feeling confident, you'll ride that momentum into the playoffs."
"This is an important win. We had to stay focused with what we had to do and not think too much about the standings or the playoffs. We want to do what the coach tells us and to keep going. We don't want to take the upcoming games lightly. We have several games coming up, but we give everything on the field. We have back-to-back games, but it's better than weeks without a game. The game was not easy with several duels and long throw-ins, but we did our best. We adjusted in the second half by finding more solutions in front of goal."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2021
- Timbers Down LAFC 2-1 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- 'Caps secure valuable road point against 3rd place Rapids - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Orlando City Falls 3-1 on Road to Philadelphia Union - Orlando City SC
- Kacper Przybylko scores a brace; Jamiro Monteiro registers fifth assist of the season - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Announces Departure of Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez - FC Dallas
- CF Montréal Take 2-0 Win over Chicago - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire FC Concludes Six-Game Road Trip with 2-0 Loss to CF Montréal at Stade Saputo - Chicago Fire FC
- Real Salt Lake Drops Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Mounts Late Rally But Falls 3-2 on the Road to Houston Dynamo FC - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Suffers 1-0 Road Loss Saturday Evening to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Reynoso Brace Propels Loons Dominant Win over La Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Fall on the Road to Minnesota United FC on Saturday Night - LA Galaxy
- Austin FC Falls 4-3 to San Jose Earthquakes - Austin FC
- Chofis scores twice, Quakes erase two-goal deficit to earn road win - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montréal to Host the Philadelphia Union Saturday at Stade Saputo
- Game on Wednesday November 3 at Stade Saputo to be Played at 7:30pm
- Brossard Soccer Association Joins CF Montréal Scouting and Development Centre
- Stade Saputo to Host GOAL MTL Event on October 17
- CF Montréal Rallies to Win over Atlanta