Carolina RailHawks host Real Maryland in Second Round of US Open Cup
Cary, NC (Monday, June 23rd , 2008) - The Carolina RailHawks welcome USL Second Division's Real Maryland on Tuesday, June 24th at 7:30 PM at WakeMed Soccer Park for the second round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Tickets ($10, $15 and $20) can be purchased at the LGFCU Box office or by calling 919-859-KICK. Season Ticket holders will use the Game C tickets in their booklets.
The RailHawks hope to build upon the success they had in last year's US Open Cup and on the 1-0 victory over the Brooklyn Knights last June 10th. Should the RailHawks advance to the Third Round they will host Major League Soccer's Kansas City Wizards on Tuesday July 1st at 7:30 PM at WakeMed Soccer Park.
In their 2007 campaign for the cup the RailHawks made it to the semi-finals before falling, in double-overtime to the eventual champions, Major League Soccer's New England Revolution. In addition to the experience gained in last year's cup the RailHawks have the advantage of being coached by a former US Open Cup Champion. Head Coach Scott Schweitzer won the coveted trophy in 1999 while with the Rochester Rhinos
"Real Maryland will be a very hard team to play against," said RailHawks Head Coach Scott Schweitzer. "They have quite a few international players and it will take an entire team effort for 90 minutes to get the result."
The Real Maryland Monarchs are a USL-2 expansion team who enter this contest after defeating the NY Pancyprian Freedom 3-2 in double overtime. They are led by Salvadorian Internationals Dennis Alas and Ronald Cerritos as well as defender Daryl Ferguson who earned his first international cap with Barbados on Sunday against the United States.
"We are going to approach the game the same way we usually do for most games," said Real Maryland Head Coach Silvino Gonzalo. "It's a big game for us against very good competition, but we are going to try to put pressure on them. I understand that it will be their third game in five days so maybe we will look to exploit that."
The Lamar Hunt US Open Cup is one of the oldest tournaments of its kind in the World and allows amateur teams to measure up against professional teams in a competitive setting. This year's field includes teams 40 teams including eight MLS teams, eight USL-first division teams, eight USL-second division teams and 16 amateur teams from the PDL and USASA.
After Tuesday's match the RailHawks host the Portland Timbers at WakeMed Soccer Park at 8:00 PM and the RailHawks Women host the Hampton Roads Piranhas on Saturday June 28th at 7:30 PM. All Carolina RailHawks Men's and Women's tickets are available at the LGFCU Box Office, by calling 919-859-KICK (5425), or by visiting www.carolinarailhawks.com
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from June 23, 2008
- Sounders face Hollywood United - Seattle Sounders
- Whitecaps weekly schedule - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Miami FC continues their quest for the 2008 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title tomorrow - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Schulte and Tenoff Return as Thunder Hosts Cleveland City Stars in Open Cup Action Tuesday - Minnesota Thunder
- Rhinos To Host Pittsburgh in U.S. Open Cup Tournament - Rochester Rhinos
- Carolina RailHawks host Real Maryland in Second Round of US Open Cup - North Carolina FC
- Battery to battle Eagles for chance to play MLS champs in Cup - Charleston Battery
- Whitecaps Men Draw 1:1 And Women Lose 3:0 - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Miami FC remains undefeated with a 1-1 draw in Vancouver - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Historic North Carolina FC, NC Courage Matches to Air on Capitol Broadcasting, YouTube
- North Carolina FC Statement on Extended Suspension of USL Championship Season
- North Carolina FC Issues Statement on USL Decision to Temporarily Suspend Season
- North Carolina FC Falls 1-0 in Season Opener to Louisville City
- North Carolina FC Kicks off 2020 Season at Home on Saturday against Louisville City