Sounders face Hollywood United
Don't forget, United Soccer League First Division Seattle Sounders play Hollywood United of the U.S. Amateur Soccer Association and the Coast Soccer League in Los Angeles, tomorrow night (June 24) at Starfire in second round action of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Kickoff is set for 8:00 pm. The game is part of a double header with the Sounders women who play the Pali Blues at 6:00 pm.
In round one of the U.S Open Cup played on June 10, Seattle survived grueling extra time against the Arizona Sahuaros (USASA) with Kenji Treschuk?s winner in the 118th minute, and a 1-0 victory.
The Sounders look to mimic success of the 2007 Open Cup, where they defeated Banat Arsenal (USASA), Portland Timbers (USL-1), Major League Soccer?s Chivas USA and Colorado Rapids in route to a birth in the semi-finals, eventually losing 2-1 to Dallas FC in extra time.
Tickets for second round action of the U.S. Open Cup are $13 in advance through Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com or by calling 206-628-0888. Tickets are $15 at the gate. $13 group tickets are available by calling 206-381-7908.
ABOUT HOLLYWOOD UNITED
Though an amateur side, Hollywood United is made up of several former professionals including eight-year MLS journeyman Brian Dunseth. The club started in the late 1980s by Anthony LaPaglia (?Without A Trace?), a former professional goalkeeper before he began his acting career. Lapaglia also is a part-owner of Sydney FC in the Australian professional league, the A-League. The team is coached by former English professionals John Gerrard and Ian Carrington.
HOW THEY GOT HERE
For the first time in club history, Hollywood United advanced out of USASA Region IV and onto the knockout stages of the U.S. Open Cup with a pair of 2-0 victories over the Santa Cruz County Breakers and San Diego United. They also defeated Banat Arsenal 3-1 in qualifying.
Now they find themselves in round two after stunning the Portland Timbers, 3-2, in the lone upset of the first round. Former MLS player Matt Taylor converted two penalty kicks, and former Derby County youth academy player Earl Alexander?s winner in stoppage time proved to be the difference.
Featured on the Hollywood United roster are former Sounders midfielders Jason Boyce and Alex Bengard. Boyce played for Seattle in 2002 appearing in 15 games, scoring one goal and assisting on three. A member of the 2003 squad, Bengard saw time in 23 games and tallied three goals and two assists. Raul Palomaires was on trial with the Sounders this season and appeared in the Sounders exhibition match against Seattle Pacific University.
POTENTIAL ROUND 3 FIXTURE
Victory means Seattle will face Chivas USA of Major League Soccer at Starfire in round three scheduled for July 1.
*The Sounders submitted bid to U.S. Soccer to host the July 8 quarterfinal round at Qwest Field.
Click here to purchase 2008 season tickets and packages.
PURCHASE 2008 TICKETS
Any questions about 2008 ticketing? Call Gary Boyle at 206 381-7908 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from June 23, 2008
- Sounders face Hollywood United - Seattle Sounders
- Whitecaps weekly schedule - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Miami FC continues their quest for the 2008 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title tomorrow - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Schulte and Tenoff Return as Thunder Hosts Cleveland City Stars in Open Cup Action Tuesday - Minnesota Thunder
- Rhinos To Host Pittsburgh in U.S. Open Cup Tournament - Rochester Rhinos
- Carolina RailHawks host Real Maryland in Second Round of US Open Cup - North Carolina FC
- Battery to battle Eagles for chance to play MLS champs in Cup - Charleston Battery
- Whitecaps Men Draw 1:1 And Women Lose 3:0 - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Miami FC remains undefeated with a 1-1 draw in Vancouver - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders Stories
- Sounders FC Signs Colombian Defender Hurtado
- Seattle Sounders FC News & Notes: 2/10/09
- Seattle Sounders FC Select University of Akron's Steve Zakuani with First Overall Selection in 2009
- Taylor Graham nominated for USL-1 Defender of the Year
- Graham And Le Toux Earn First And Second Team Honors