Battery to battle Eagles for chance to play MLS champs in Cup
Charleston, SC. The Charleston Battery (USL1) takes on the Charlotte Eagles (USL2) at Blackbaud Stadium, Tuesday night in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup; gates open at 6:30 P.M. with kick off set for 7:30 P.M. ($5 - $10, 971-GOAL / charlestonbattery.com). The winner will host the current Major League Soccer Champions, the Houston Dynamo in a third round fixture to be played on Tuesday, July 1.
The Charleston Battery advanced to the second round with a 3-0 win versus the ASC new Stars (USASA, Houston, TX) in the opening game of the tournament; forward Darren Spicer scored all three goals for the Battery, it was the first hat-trick scored by a Battery player since the 2002 season.
Charlotte defeated the Clearwater Galactics (USASA, Clearwater, FL) by a score of five goals to two in its first round game to book their berth into the second round. The Eagles enter the match in first position in the USL Second Division with a record of eight wins, one loss, two ties, and 26 points.
The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, the U.S. Soccer Federation's National Championship, is an annual competition open to all amateur and professional soccer teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer. It is the oldest annual team tournament in U.S. sports history and among the oldest soccer tournaments of its type in the world having crowned a champion for 94 consecutive years dating back to 1914. In 1999, the competition was renamed to honor long-time soccer pioneer Lamar Hunt.
U.S. Open Cup Tickets
Tickets for the Charleston Battery vs Charlotte Eagles game on June 24 are available for $5 (bleacher) and $10 (Club). 2008 Season Ticket holders can purchase discounted tickets; Three Lions Club members receive complimentary tickets to all U.S. Open Cup fixtures. To purchase tickets or for more information please call (843) 971-GOAL (4625) or visit www.charlestonbattery.com.
2008 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Schedule June 24 - Second Round - 16 Round 1 winners face off July 1 - Third Round - Round 2 winners face eight MLS teams July 8 - Quarterfinals - Round 3 winners Aug. 12 - Semifinals - Quarterfinal winners Aug. 26 - Final - Semifinal winners
Composition of participating teams: 8 Major League Soccer 8 United Soccer Leagues First Division 8 United Soccer Leagues Second Division 16 Amateur (8 USL Premier Development League, 8 USASA regional qualifiers) Total Number of Teams: 40 Total Number of Games: 39
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from June 23, 2008
- Sounders face Hollywood United - Seattle Sounders
- Whitecaps weekly schedule - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Miami FC continues their quest for the 2008 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title tomorrow - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Schulte and Tenoff Return as Thunder Hosts Cleveland City Stars in Open Cup Action Tuesday - Minnesota Thunder
- Rhinos To Host Pittsburgh in U.S. Open Cup Tournament - Rochester Rhinos
- Carolina RailHawks host Real Maryland in Second Round of US Open Cup - North Carolina FC
- Battery to battle Eagles for chance to play MLS champs in Cup - Charleston Battery
- Whitecaps Men Draw 1:1 And Women Lose 3:0 - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Miami FC remains undefeated with a 1-1 draw in Vancouver - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.