Carlos Fierro scores first MLS goal in loss to Portland
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes fell to the Portland Timbers 6-1 on Saturday night at Earthquakes Stadium.
Quakes midfielder Carlos Fierro, making his first start of the season, scored his first MLS goal, while rookie midfielder Jack Skahan made his MLS debut.
The two teams were separated by just one goal at halftime (2-1), but the Timbers scored four in the second half, including a pair in the final five minutes of the match.
The Earthquakes will now prepare to travel to face the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday, Sept. 23, presented by the City of San Jose. Kickoff from Dick's Sporting Goods Park is set for 6:00 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on NBC Sports California Plus, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
The Quakes now hold a 4-2-1 record in their last seven home matches against the Timbers.
Midfielder Carlos Fierro scored the first goal of his MLS career.
Defender Marcos Lopez tallied an assist on Fierro's goal, his second assist of the season and third of his MLS career.
Defender Florian Jungwirth made his 100th MLS appearance.
Midfielder Eric Calvillo made his first start of the season, tallying his first MLS assist.
Midfielder Jack Skahan made his MLS debut, entering as a substitute in the 79th minute.
MLS Regular Season
San Jose Earthquakes 1 - 6 Portland Timbers
Sept. 19, 2020 - Earthquakes Stadium in San Jose, Calif.
Scoring Summary: POR - Diego Valeri (penalty) 25; POR - Jeremy Ebobisse (Jorge Villafana) 27; SJ - Carlos Fierro (Marcos Lopez, Eric Calvillo) 44; POR - Diego Valeri (Yimmi Chara) 57; POR - Yimmi Chara (unassisted) 70; POR - Julio Cascante (Diego Valeri) 85; POR - Jaroslaw Niezgoda (Diego Chara) 87.
Misconduct Summary: SJ - Nick Lima (caution) 14; POR - Tomas Conechny (caution) 29; SJ - Florian Jungwirth (caution) 49.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES: Daniel Vega; Marcos Lopez, Tanner Beason, Florian Jungwirth (Vako 64), Nick Lima (Cristian Espinoza 64); Judson, Jackson Yueill, Eric Calvillo (Tommy Thompson 64), Shea Salinas (Jack Skahan 79), Carlos Fierro; Andy Rios (Chris Wondolowski 64).
Substitutes not used: Matt Bersano, Cade Cowell, Luis Felipe, Paul Marie.
SHOTS : 11, SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; SAVES: 3; FOULS: 12; CORNER KICKS: 6, OFFSIDES: 5.
PORTLAND TIMBERS: Aljaz Ivacic, Jorge Villafana, Julio Cascante, Bill Tuiloma, Marco Farfan, Diego Valeri, Tomas Conechny (Yimmi Chara 45), Diego Chara (Eryk Williamson 89), Christian Paredes (Renzo Zambrano 82), Marvin Loria (Andy Polo 82), Jeremy Ebobisse (Jaroslaw Niezgoda 82).
Substitutes not used: Pablo Bonilla, Steve Clark, Andres Flores, Dario Zuparic.
SHOTS: 18; SHOTS ON GOAL: 9; SAVES: 3; FOULS: 12; CORNER KICKS: 6, OFFSIDES: 0
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2020
- New Home No Help to Impact - Montreal Impact
- Kacper Przybylko records second brace of the season; Union move into second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 21-27 - Chicago Fire
- Youth and Resilience Play Major Role in Big Road Win in Los Angeles - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Earn 6-1 Road Win over San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Downed by Colorado Rapids - LA Galaxy
- Carlos Fierro scores first MLS goal in loss to Portland - San Jose Earthquakes
- 10-Man Real Salt Lake Drops 2-1 Result to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Real Salt Lake
- Surging 'Caps open road stretch with second consecutive win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 23, 2020
- Quakes eliminated after forcing No. 1 seed to penalty kicks
- Earthquakes Face Sporting KC Today in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Earthquakes Announce Extended Partnership with PG&E and the PG&E Corporation Foundation
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2020