Cardinals Take Series Win with Wild 10-9 Victory in Amarillo
AMARILLO, Tx. - The Springfield Cardinals (14-13, 44-53) closed their third straight series win with a wild 10-9 victory against the Amarillo Sod Poodles (14-13, 48-47) on Thursday night.
W: RHP Bryan Dobzanski (1-0)
L: RHP Evan Miller (1-1)
S: RHP Kodi Whitley (7)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
-For the second straight game, CF Dylan Carlson led off the top of the first with an extra-base hit, this time ripping a double to center field. Two outs later with Carlson at third, C Brian O'Keefe delivered a two-out RBI single, lifting Springfield ahead, 1-0.
-The Cardinals padded the lead in the third with a four-run outburst, featuring RBI doubles from O'Keefe, RF Justin Toerner and SS Rayder Ascanio, along with an RBI groundout by 1B Zach Kirtley, making it 5-0.
-The Sod Poodles got on the board in the bottom of the third with an RBI triple from LF Taylor Kohlwey and an RBI double by 3B Ivan Castillo, both with two outs, shaving the Cardinals lead to 5-2.
-The Cardinals got the runs right back in the top of the fourth when 3B Yariel Gonzalez crushed a three-run home run to left-center field, powering the Cardinals into the 8-2 lead.
-Amarillo 3B Hudson Potts knocked a solo shot to left field in the bottom of the fourth, bringing the Sod Poodles back within five runs, 8-3.
-Both sides struck in the fifth with the Cardinals plating one in the top of the frame on an RBI double from LF Scott Hurst, but the Sod Poodles countering in the bottom with a two-run shot from 3B Ivan Castillo, making it a 9-5 lead for Springfield through 5.0.
-Amarillo kept coming back with three more runs in the bottom of the seventh on an RBI single from 1B Peter Van Gansen, a run-scoring double play ball from RF Edward Olivares and a two-out RBI double by SS Owen Miller, slicing the Cardinals lead to just one run, 9-8.
-The Sod Poodles completed the comeback with a pinch-hit solo shot from C Luis Torrens in the bottom of the eighth, tying the game at 9-9.
-The Cardinals, though, powered back in front in the top of the ninth when 1B Zach Kirtley slugged the frame's first pitch out to left field for a go-ahead solo home run, lifting the Cardinals into the 10-9 lead.
-With one on and two down in the bottom of the ninth, SS Owen Miller drove a fly ball back to the right field wall that would have at least tied the game, but RF Justin Toerner raced back and reeled it in right at the wall for the final out in the 10-9 win.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals continue the Texas trip in Corpus Christi on Friday at 7:15pm. Catch all the action live on Jock 98.7 FM and SpringfieldCardinals.com, and tune in for the Harbell's Grill and Sports Bar Pregame Show starting at 6:50pm.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Big Lead Vanishes in 12-8 Loss at Hodgetown - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Travs Shutout by RoughRiders - Arkansas Travelers
- Uceta, Drillers Top Midland - Tulsa Drillers
- Riders Just Miss Tossing No-Hitter Friday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Pitching Carries RockHounds in Series Win over Arkansas - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Take Series Win with Wild 10-9 Victory in Amarillo - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Time Running out to See Ozzie Smith at Dinner on the Diamond
- Hammons Field Wins Texas League Field of the Year for 9th-Straight Season
- Cardinals Fall 11-6 to RockHounds in Season Finale
- Cardinals Downed by RockHounds, Season Closes on Monday Afternoon
- 4 Hits for Chinea, Cards Still Fall 4-3 to RockHounds