Cardinals Look to Win Rubber Match Sunday vs. Bristol
JOHNSON CITY - The Johnson City Cardinals dropped a 5-4 contest vs. the Bristol Bucs Saturday night at TVA Credit Union Ballpark. 3,135 came through the turnstiles for Star Wars Night.
The Cards (33-31) now sit 0.5 games ahead of Bristol (32-31) in the chase for Appalachian West crown. The Kingsport Mets (33-32) now sit 1.0 games out of first while the Elizabethton Twins (31-32) have pulled back within 1.5 games of the division lead.
The Cardinals trailed Bristol 2-0 going to the seventh. There, Victor Garcia singled as a pinch hitter to score Aaron Antonini. Carlos Soler entered to pinch run for Garcia. Mateo Gil brought him home with an RBI base hit of his own to make it 2-2.
Bristol capitalized on a two-out Cardinal error in the top of the eighth to take a 5-2 lead. Chandler Redmond hit a two-run pinch hit homer in the bottom of the eighth to get the Cards back within one, but the team could get no closer. The blast was the 10th of the season for Redmond.
Jake Sommers got the start for the Cards and took a no-decision after allowing one run (one earned) in four innings. Dylan Pearce (1-2) suffered the loss after allowing three runs (one earned) in middle relief. Saul De La Cruz (2-0) earned the win for the Bucs while Alex Roth picked up his fourth save by striking out the side in the ninth.
The Cards and Pirates close the series Sunday at 5:00 p.m. Gates will open at 4:00 p.m. It will be Fan Appreciation Night at TVA Credit Union Ballpark. The first 1,000 fans will receive a complimentary food voucher thanks to Pepsi, Texas Roadhouse, and Gordon Food Service. Starters for both teams are TBA.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 24, 2019
- G-Reds Shutout Saturday - Greeneville Reds
- Mendoza's Strong Start, Late Plate Work Lift Pirates - Bristol Pirates
- Cardinals Look to Win Rubber Match Sunday vs. Bristol - Johnson City Cardinals
- Yankees Come Back Late to Drop Royals 4-2 - Burlington Royals
- Mets Ride the Longball to Win - Kingsport Mets
- Twins End Back-And Forth Game with 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Braves - Elizabethton Twins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Johnson City Cardinals Stories
- Drop off Nashville Relief Donations at Memorial Park Community Center
- Striking out Misconceptions on the 2020 Season
- Johnson City Cardinals Win Three League Awards
- Cards Capture Appalachian League Championship
- Cards Rebound in Burlington, Championship Rubber Match Set for Wednesday