Captains Snap Losing Streak to Finish Homestand
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (38-33) beat the Great Lakes Loons (40-32) 7-6 on Sunday afternoon at Classic Park in the final game of the six game series.
Micah Pries jolted the Captains offense alive in the bottom of the third inning. On the eighth pitch of his at bat against Jesus Vargas, Pries hooked a home run down the right field line for his first hit as a Captain to give Lake County a 1-0 lead.
The Captains extended their lead to 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth. Brayan Rocchio and Bryan Lavastida began the frame with back-to-back singles and George Valera hit a third straight single to knock in Rocchio.
Great Lakes cut into Lake County's lead in the top of the fifth. Joe Vranesh began the inning with a single and swiped second. After an infield single by Ching moved Vranesh to third, Ryan January hit a sacrifice fly to right. Vranesh scored to trim the Captains' lead to 2-1.
Great Lakes hit a pair of solo homers to grab the lead in the top of the sixth. Brandon Lewis led off the frame with his fourth homer of the series. The line drive over the right field wall tied the score at 2-2. Justin Yurchak then homered to right with two outs to put the Loons ahead, 3-2 lead.
The Captains jumped back in front in the bottom of the sixth. Reliever Zack Plunkett walked with two outs and lefty Franklin De La Paz came in from the Loons' bullpen and hit Victor Nova, then walked Joe Naranjo to load the bases. A wild pitch scored Valera to tie the game and Raynel Delgado looped a two-run single to center. Nova and Naranjo scored to put the Captains on top, 5-3.
In the bottom of the seventh the Captains continued to add to their lead. Will Brennan looped a single to right field to lead off the inning. Rocchio was next up and he snuck a fly ball just fair down the right field line for a two-run home run to extend the Captains lead to 7-3.
In the top of the ninth the Loons did not go quietly. With one out Just Yurchak singled, then Joe Vranesh doubled to put runners on second and third. After Deacon Liput struck out for the second out, Zac Ching connected for a three-run home run to make the score 7-6, Lake County.
Mason Hickman (5-5) twirled six innings on the mound for the Captains to earn the win. He struck out seven without issuing a walk. The Loons collected five hits and three runs against Hickman.
Franklin De La Paz (0-1) took the loss in relief for the Loons. He allowed two runs on two hits and a walk without recording an out in the sixth inning.
The Captains travel to Dayton for the first time in the 2021 season with a six-game series starting on Tuesday. First pitch on Tuesday from Day Air Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 25, 2021
- Wolf Devours Lugnuts in Shutout Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lugnuts Avoid No-Hitter But Not Defeat in West Michigan Finale - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Win Sunday Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scott Homers, Drives In Three In 4-0 Win Over Kernels - Beloit Snappers
- Shutout Gives Wisconsin Series Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Block Strikes out 10; Bandits Split Series with Chiefs - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Rattlers Blank Cubs in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Long Road Trip Ends with 7-6 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria Falls to Quad Cities, Settles for Series Split - Peoria Chiefs
- Ruiz, Spiers Spark Dragons 5-3 Win on Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Mathis Homers in TinCaps Debut - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Snap Losing Streak to Finish Homestand - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Information: July 25 vs. Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.