Capitols Fall to Steel 4-3 in Overtime
Middleton, WI - The Madison Capitols (3-7-1-2) dropped their second straight contest to the Chicago Steel (6-7-1-0) by a score of 4-3 in overtime on Friday night. The game was the final time these two teams would face off at Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena this season.
After finding themselves down by a goal midway through the first, the Capitols were finally able to break through on Chicago's netminder, Justin Robbins. Christian Berger carried the puck down the left side of the ice, burning the defender to place an initial shot on Robbins before Josh Boyer cleaned up the rebound to tie the game at one.
Only a minute and a half later, the Steel regained the lead, but the resilience of Madison paid off again. Carson Bantle backhanded a pass to Robert Blueger in the slot where he quick-fired a bullet past Robbins to tie the game at two.
Chaz Smedsrud gave the Capitols their only lead of the contest 6:12 into the third period on only their fourth power play goal of the season. Smedsrud set up on the right circle where he received a pass Berger before sniping one top-shelf past Robbins.
Chicago would get one back later in the third to force overtime. An unfortunate penalty in extra time prompted a man advantage for the Steel where they were able to bury the rebound for the victory.
Garrett Mackay (0-1-1-0) finished the night turning back 33 shots while taking the loss. The Capitols return to action Saturday night to finish off the weekend against the Green Bay Gamblers.Game time is 7:05 pm with the doors opening at 6:05 pm. If you can't make it out to the game, make sure to follow along on HockeyTV and the Madison Capitols Channel on Mixlr.
Don't miss out on any of the action this season as the Capitols embark on their 5th season in the USHL. Ticket packages, suites, and group outing are available now at www.madcapshockey.comor by calling the front office at (608) 257-2277.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 17, 2018
- Team USA Gets Past Dubuque 7-4 on Military Appreciation Night - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Hawks Take Special Teams Extravaganza - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Flying Aces Down Phantoms - Youngstown Phantoms
- Central Illinois Downs Youngstown, 5-2 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Capitols Fall to Steel 4-3 in Overtime - Madison Capitols
- Muskegon Locks Down Cedar Rapids 4-0 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Penalties, Ohrvall Take Down Stars in Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Win Third Straight, Down Team USA 5-3 Saturday Night - Chicago Steel
- Preview - Stars vs. Black Hawks - Lincoln Stars
- Musketeers Bombard Des Moines, 5-1 - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.