California Not Kind to Wave over the Weekend; Lose Second Straight Game Sunday Night
It was a rough night for the Wave from the word go against the Ontario Fury.
The league's leading goal scorer, Franck Tayou of the Fury put them on the board early (1:26 into the first period). Tayou would also go onto score two more goals plus an assist in the game, increasing his points and goals league lead in both totals. The Fury would score two more goals in the first period to run out to a 3-0 lead. Ontario would also score another goal 5:08 into the second period, even taking on 6 Wave attackers.
Milwaukee finally broke through with 4:52 left the second period off a goal by Max Ferdinand (assisted by Ian Bennett). The goal by Ferdinand extended his points' streak to 19 straight games with at least one point. Despite the six attackers and a swing in momentum, the Wave would allow two more goals before the half, putting the Wave down 5-1 at halftime.
The Wave would make a comeback attempt starting late in the third period, scoring two goals, both by Isaac Pereyra (one assisted by Andre Hayne and the other by Chad Vandegriffe). However, the Wave would not score another goal (although the Fury would notch one more goal in the fourth period) and would ultimately lose the game 7-3 by the final buzzer.
The Wave (12-6) will return home nursing two straight road losses, but are still in control of the third playoff spot in the Eastern Division. The Wave will play a back to back home weekend doubleheader against the Orlando SeaWolves (1-16), with the first game on Saturday March 7th at 6:07 pm. It will be our "On Wisconsin!" night, with a performance by the Echoes of Camp Randall! Enjoy a performance from members of the UW- Madison Marching Band.
For tickets and more information visit MilwaukeeWave.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 1, 2020
- Tropics Drop Only Third Game of Season, 4-3 in Tacoma - Florida Tropics SC
- Stars Knock off Tropics 4-3 Sunday, Split Series - Tacoma Stars
- Ontario Ride a Wave to Victory - Ontario Fury
- California Not Kind to Wave over the Weekend; Lose Second Straight Game Sunday Night - Milwaukee Wave
- Comets Come up Short in St. Louis - Kansas City Comets
- Sidekicks Head South of the Border - Dallas Sidekicks
- Ambush Outlast the Comets - St. Louis Ambush
- Flat Second Half Dooms SeaWolves against Turlock - Orlando SeaWolves
- Sidekicks' Game Notes - Dallas Sidekicks
- Stars Looking for Weekend Split with Florida - Tacoma Stars
- Wave Socked by San Diego Saturday Night in Overtime Shootout - Milwaukee Wave
- Sockers Outlast Wave in Battle of Titans - San Diego Sockers
- Callahan's OT Winner Lifts Utica City over Sonora - Utica City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Milwaukee Wave announces cancellation of 2020-21 season
- Washington County FC Joins ROC Ventures SC Wave Family
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend