Callahan's OT Winner Lifts Utica City over Sonora
Hermosillo, Mexico - It was a back and forth affair all night long, but Utica City was able to come away with a 12-11 overtime victory over the Soles de Sonora Saturday night at the Centro de Usos Multiples. Ricardo Diegues recorded four goals, while Bo Jelovac and Alencar Ventura Junior scored twice and Nate Bourdeau, Cristhian Segura, and Moises Gonzalez all added one goal apiece. Andrew Coughlin made 14 saves in the win.
Diegues got the scoring started 11 seconds into the game, heading a pass from Coughlin past the keeper. Sonora responded 40 seconds later when Jesus Avendano got one past Coughlin. Diegues struck again at the 4:22 mark of the quarter, depositing a rebound off a Jelovac shot. Daniel Lopez tied the game at two 14 seconds later. Jelovac put Utica back in front with 5:24 to go in the first, making a run and finishing with a right footed shot.
Enrique Cañez tied the game at three 6:50 into the second quarter. Diegues netted the hat trick with 4:42 to go in the second quarter, taking a centering pass from Jelovac and chipping a shot over the keeper from in tight for the goal. Ismael Rojo answered back 20 seconds later to level the game at four. Segura gave Utica a 5-4 lead with 2:32 to go in the half, taking a bump pass from Junior and beating the keeper far post.
Carlos Hernandez scored 1:22 into the third quarter to even the game at five. Junior regained the lead for Utica at the 3:31 mark, putting a shot through the legs of the keeper. Lopez netted his second of the night 37 seconds later to knot things up at six. Junior scored his second of the night with 8:25 remaining in the third, putting home a board pass from Segura. Bourdeau gave Utica their first multi-goal lead of the night a minute later, taking a board pass from Onua Obasi and beating the keeper point blank with the right foot. Avendano brought Sonora back within one with 3:40 to go in the third. Rojo scored his second of the game with 12 seconds to go in the third to tie the game at eight.
Cañez gave Sonora their first lead of the game 1:23 into the fourth quarter. Efrain Martinez put Sonora up 10-8 a minute and a half later. Gonzalez brought Utica back within with a sliding finish from just inside the arc 3:41 into the fourth. Diegues tied things up at 10 with a power play goal with 5:27 to go, ripping a shoot from the right side for his fourth of the night. Jelovac put Utica up with a power play goal with 34 seconds to play. Cañez leveled the game at 11 with 17 seconds to go.
Callahan scored 1:45 into overtime to give Utica City the win.
Utica City goes right back at it tomorrow night in a rematch against Sonora. Kickoff is at 8 p.m. EST. The game can be viewed on MASL.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 1, 2020
- Tropics Drop Only Third Game of Season, 4-3 in Tacoma - Florida Tropics SC
- Stars Knock off Tropics 4-3 Sunday, Split Series - Tacoma Stars
- Ontario Ride a Wave to Victory - Ontario Fury
- California Not Kind to Wave over the Weekend; Lose Second Straight Game Sunday Night - Milwaukee Wave
- Comets Come up Short in St. Louis - Kansas City Comets
- Sidekicks Head South of the Border - Dallas Sidekicks
- Ambush Outlast the Comets - St. Louis Ambush
- Flat Second Half Dooms SeaWolves against Turlock - Orlando SeaWolves
- Sidekicks' Game Notes - Dallas Sidekicks
- Stars Looking for Weekend Split with Florida - Tacoma Stars
- Wave Socked by San Diego Saturday Night in Overtime Shootout - Milwaukee Wave
- Sockers Outlast Wave in Battle of Titans - San Diego Sockers
- Callahan's OT Winner Lifts Utica City over Sonora - Utica City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.