Cal Heeter Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
Cal Heeter has been named the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending January 5, 2014 as announced by the American Hockey League.
Heeter notched back-to-back shutouts last weekend against the Hershey Bears and Albany Devils as part of a perfect 3-0-0 week. He allowed just one goal in his three games as he turned away 86 out of 87 shots for a gaudy save percentage of .989 and a goals-against average of only 0.33.
The 25-year-old from St. Louis, Missouri began with a 2-1 victory on New Year's Eve last Tuesday in a 24-save performance against the Worcester Sharks.
He followed that up with a 1-0 overtime win against the Hershey Bears on Friday turning aside 29 in that one. On Saturday, he completed his second straight shutout with a 33-save night against the Albany Devils as part of a 4-0 win. Heeter received #1 Star of the Game honors in all three games.
He becomes the second ever Adirondack Phantom to receive the award. Almost exactly three years ago, goaltender Brian Stewart was named Player of the Week on January 2, 2011 after winning three straight games.
Heeter is now tied for the league lead in shutouts with four (with Keith Kinkaid of Albany). He is first in the AHL in save percentage at .932 and is second in goals-against average at 2.03 barely behind Kinkaid's 2.02 mark.
Heeter has allowed two goals or fewer in six consecutive games going back to December 21 allowing six total goals in that stretch with a .967 save percentage (175 saves on 181 shots). Heeter has taken over everyday goaltending duties over the past month following an injury to Yann Danis on November 29 and has started 13 of Adirondack's last 14 games.
Last year as a professional rookie, the former Ohio State University Buckeye finished 12-16-3, 2.92, .908 with the Phantoms. Heeter rates third all-time for the Adirondack Phantoms and ninth in the history of the Phantoms franchise in career wins (25), games played (55) and saves (1,464). Heeter signed as a free agent with the Philadelphia Flyers organization on March 6, 2012.
In recognition of his achievement, Cal Heeter will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Phantoms home game.
Tuesday, January 7 (7:00) - Phantoms Power Hour LIVE from Recovery Sports Grill in Queensbury on Q101.7 - With Special Guests Cal Heeter and Carsen Chubak
Friday, January 10 (7:00) - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at Adirondack Phantoms
Saturday, January 11 (7:00) - Adirondack Phantoms at Binghamton Senators
Wednesday, January 15 (7:00) - Binghamton Senators at Adirondack Phantoms
When you order your tickets in advance, you save! Call the Phantoms at 518-480-3355
25 Terrific Seasons
Glens Falls is celebrating its 25th season hosting an AHL team and in so doing now joins an elite group of just 9 other active markets who can make such a claim. It's a great hockey tradition with an old-school feel that began with the Adirondack Red Wings in 1979. In their 20-year tenure at the Glens Falls Civic Center through 1999, the Red Wings won four Calder Cups. The Adirondack Phantoms began play in Glens Falls in 2009-10 and are in their fifth season bringing exciting AHL action to the North Country.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2014
- Admirals Sneak Past Wild 4-3 in a Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Pirates Edge IceCaps 5-4 - St. John's IceCaps
- Brisebois, Louis Each Score as Pirates Hold off IceCaps - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Sign Derek Meech to AHL Contract - Texas Stars
- Rampage Recall Forward Jack Combs from Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Lightning Recall Cedrick Desjardins from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Game Postponed - Utica Comets
- Eriksson Back to Vancouver, Corbeil Back to Utica - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Bulldogs Head Into Three-Game Week Winners Of Five Straight - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Game Scheduled for Wednesday Has Been Moved to Thursday - Oklahoma City Barons
- American Hockey League Game Rescheduled - AHL
- Falons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- IceCaps and Jungle Jim's to Host Hockey Festivals - St. John's IceCaps
- Cal Heeter Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Adirondack Phantoms
- Adirondack's Cal Heeter Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Barons Hosting First Ever WinterFest this Weekend at Devon Ice Rink - Oklahoma City Barons
- Hogs Pick up Four of Six Points on Weekend - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Host Iowa Tonight, Offer Free Parking - Milwaukee Admirals
- Less Than 1,200 Seats Remain for Saturday, January 11th vs Adirondack - Binghamton Senators
- Stanley Cup Champion Gregory Campbell to Appear at Falcons Game - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Recalls Blum and Haula, Iowa Signs Rioux - Iowa Wild
- Bears Perfect At Home In 2014 - Hershey Bears
- Pirates and IceCaps Meet in Second Game of Series - Portland Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.