Bullfrogs Fall Short to Woodchucks in Wild Back-And-Forth Game
Wausau, WI. - Both teams combined for five home runs in the contest; however, the host Wisconsin Woodchucks (18-25, 6-2) used a pair of late two-run blasts to sneak past the visiting Green Bay Bullfrogs (13-31, 1-7) by a score of 5-3 in a crazy game at Athletic Park Wednesday evening. The Woodchucks sweep the two-game series and improve to 4-0 against Green Bay this summer. Five of the last six games for the Bullfrogs have been decided by three runs or less.
The Woodchucks got on the board early with a two-out solo shot from Jaren Shelby to give the hosts an early 1-0 advantage. The Bullfrogs then got even in the third inning with a RBI single by Preston Pavlica (Junior, Grand Canyon Univ.) to knot the score at 1-1.
Green Bay used the long ball to its advantage in the fifth with back-to-back solo jacks from Pavlica and Blaise Maris (Sophomore, Florida Tech) to put the Frogs in front 3-1.
Wisconsin tied the contest again in the sixth frame with a two-out, two-run homer by Javier Valdes to make it a 3-3 game. In the seventh inning, the Woodchucks went yard again with another two-run shot off the bat of Zach DeLoach to give Wisconsin a 5-3 lead. The Woodchucks pitching staff shut down the Green Bay offense in the final two frames to secure the two-run victory.
Pavlica topped the Bullfrogs batting charts with a 3-for-4 night at the plate and two runs driven in. Maris went 1-for-3 with a RBI on his solo home run, while Alejandro Gonzalez (Freshman, Hillsborough CC) and Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo (Freshman, Navarro College) each finished 1-for-4 and 1-for-3, respectively.
Wisconsin relief pitcher Alex Stodola earned the win, improving to 1-3. Green Bay starting pitcher Ryan Gowens (Senior, Arizona) took the loss, falling to 1-1. Gowens finished with seven strikeouts in his fourth start of the summer. Woodchucks reliever Lennon Gwizdala earned his eighth save of the season.
The Green Bay Bullfrogs conclude their current three-game road stretch tomorrow night, venturing to Wisconsin Rapids to face the Rafters at Witter Field. First pitch is slated for a 7:05 p.m. start. Tomorrow's match-up is the opening contest of a two-game home-and-home series.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Mallards Reel in Chinooks 10-5 - Madison Mallards
- Make It Six, Stingers Beat Bucks 4-3 - Willmar Stingers
- Battle Creek Back to .500 with Win over Kenosha - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Fall to Bullfrogs in Rain-Shortened Game - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- â??â??Rivets Snap Losing Streak at Home Against Woodchucks - Rockford Rivets
- Sanchez, Rox Take Home Third Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Woodchucks Drop Close One to Rivets - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Kalamazoo Falls 4-1 to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Hubbe Shines on the Mound in a 4-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Host the Bullfrogs to Finish Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bombers Continue I-94 Road Success - Battle Creek Bombers
- Waterloo Toppled 9-0 in St. Cloud - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Finish Road Trip with 8-2 loss to the Rafters - Rockford Rivets
- Kingfish Hang on to Win 8-7 - Madison Mallards
- Willmar Completes Sweep of Honkers with Offensive Barrage - Willmar Stingers
- Bullfrogs Fall Short to Woodchucks in Wild Back-And-Forth Game - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Huskies Struggle to Score Runs as the Loggers Sweep the Series - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Sweep Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Sweep Rivets in Two-Game Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Green Bay Bullfrogs Stories
- Norman Leads Bullfrogs to 1-0 Thriller over Kingfish
- Norman Leads Bullfrogs to 14-0 Thriller over Kingfish
- Big Top Baseball, Village of Ashwaubenon Unveil Capital Credit Union Park
- Bullfrogs Use Huge Sixth Inning to Cruise Past Chinooks
- Frogs Fall to Chinooks on the Road