Broncos Return to the Win Column with 2-0 Victory over Pats
Chalk up 33 saves for Winnipeg, MB product Isaac Poulter who earned his first WHL career shutout as the Swift Current Broncos put a goose egg on the Regina Pats, posting a 2-0 win to snap their 18-game losing streak.
In the first period, Joona Kiviniemi snapped his 16th of the season upstairs on Pats goaltender Max Paddock to give Swift Current an opening 1-0 lead. Ethan Regnier completed a pass to Kiviniemi while entering the Pats zone to earn an assist and temporarily put him in the team lead amongst point scoring with 31.
The Broncos put the pressure on the Pats in the middle frame as they were generating shots on goal including a great scoring chance from Ben King. The 16-year-old rookie forward almost collected the Broncos' second goal of the game when he redirected a puck through Paddock but it rolled through the crease and out the other side.
Swift Current got some more breathing room late in the game as 19-year-old forward Ethan O'Rourke notched his 11th of the year on a Broncos power play.
Poulter and the Broncos skated away to a 2-0 victory and finished the season series set against Regina, splitting the victories at three apiece for each club.
Shots on goal were deadlocked at 33 for both teams. The Broncos went 1/4 on the power play while the Pats failed to capitalize on their three man advantages.
Swift Current closes out the 2018-19 campaign against the Moose Jaw Warriors in a home-and-home set this weekend. The first game goes on Friday, March 15th at the Innovation Credit Union i-Plex as part of Fan Appreciation Night. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00pm MT.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 14, 2019
- Hitmen Announce Home Playoff Dates for Opening Round - Calgary Hitmen
- Rebels Prospect Rowland Being Re-Introduced to Major Junior Game - Red Deer Rebels
- Five Rockets Alumni to compete for U SPORTS Cavendish Farms University Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Saturday Is Awards Night at Westoba Place - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rockets Close Regular Season this Weekend - Kelowna Rockets
- Former Blades Captain Captures Bronze with Team Canada at FISU Winter Universiade - Saskatoon Blades
- 83 WHL Alumni to Compete for U SPORTS Cavendish Farms University Cup in Lethbridge - WHL
- Wheat Kings Playoff Hopes Hang by a Thread - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Broncos Return to the Win Column with 2-0 Victory over Pats - Swift Current Broncos
- Americans Lose Battle with Thunderbirds in Overtime - Tri-City Americans
- T-Birds Clinch Playoff Spot with Overtime Win in Tri-City - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rally Lifts Rockets to OT Point against Spokane - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Sloppy Defensively in 7-4 Road Loss to Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Tigers Clinch Playoff Spot After Winning 7-4 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Royals Shut out by Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Swift Current Shuts out Pats, 2-0 - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.