Braves Drown the Fish
Rome, GA - A sellout crowd of 5,105 saw the Rome Braves defeat the Columbus Catfish at State Mutual Stadium Saturday night by a final score of 6-2.
The Braves didn't hesitate to get on the board in the first inning. CJ Lee got on with a single and advanced to second on a Luis Sumoza bunt. Lee scored on an Adam Coe base hit, giving Rome the lead 1-0. In the third, Columbus tied the game on a Mike McCormick (13) homerun.
In the fourth inning, Rome took the lead again when Cody Johnson slammed a home run (26) making the score 2-1. The Catfish tied the game in the sixth 2-2 after Reid Fronk singled and later scored on a Stephen Vogt base hit.
Rome regained the lead in the sixth as Luis Sumoza walked and advanced to second on a John Gilmore single. Chris Shehan then tripled home both runners for the 4-2 score. Later, Sime reached on a walk and Chris Anderson doubled scoring both Shehan and Sime for the 6-2 lead.
The Braves bullpen held the Catfish the rest of the game for the victory.
Michael Mehlich (2-3) gets the win for Rome while Brian Flores (9-7) is tagged with the loss for Columbus.
Rome and Columbus meet again tomorrow at 2pm. For ticket information contact the Rome Braves at 706-378-5144 or long onto www.romebraves.com .
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2008
- Quirky eighth inning leads to 7-6 Tourists win - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Beat Captains In Extras 3-2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves Drown the Fish - Rome Braves
- Jackets Have Five Game Win Streak Snapped in Asheville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Feels good to be home - Hickory Crawdads
- Laird's home run in tenth lifts 'Dogs over Gnats - Savannah Sand Gnats
- 'Claws Dominate 'Birds, 6-1 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lakewood takes error-filled 6-1 win at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Shirek shuts Power down - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Wins On The Road, 5-1 - Lexington Legends
- Saturday Misfortune Strikes Hoppers' Superhero Night - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Captains to Play Power in Playoffs - Lake County Captains
- Shorebirds Stifle Captains 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Bowling Green Pro Baseball and Tampa Bay Rays Extend PDC through 2010 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.