Boyer Lifts Capitols Past Stars 4-3
Middleton, WI - With only 41.2 ticks of the clock remaining, Josh Boyer lifted the Madison Capitols (7-20-2-2) over the Lincoln Stars (8-21-3-1) by a final score of 4-1. The victory broke a streak of 11 straight losses for the Capitols.
Noah Weber gave the Caps a 1-0 lead early in the contest as he nets his third of the season only 5:35 into the first period. Matthew Gould used is speed to gain an edge around the Lincoln defense, where his slam dunk was blocked by Samuel Hlavaj, but Weber's crashing of the net results in the lead.
Lincoln would get one back only a couple of minutes later, but it would be Madison who ends the first period on top. Chase Brand quickly turned a feed from Lucas Herrmann into a grade-A assist as Daniel Petrick blasted home his third tally of the year with 2:03 remaining in the period.
The Stars would tie the game midway through the second period before the skill of Kristof Papp regained Madison's lead a third time. Papp made a nifty forehand-to-backhand move before flipping one by Hlavaj with under 4 minutes left for the 3-2 lead.
Lincoln tied the game again in the third, and it looked like the Stars had a great opportunity with a 5-on-3 power play and only 3:22 remaining in regulation. The Capitols didn't let it bother them, as they killed it off and made magic on the offensive side of the ice.
Just as it looked like we might head into overtime, Josh Boyer fought through bodies in front of the net to lift one past Hlavaj for the game-winning goal with only 41.2 seconds remaining for his 7th of the season.
Garrett Mackay made 21 saves en route to his second victory of the season, while Hlavaj could only stop 20 while taking falling to 0-3.
The Capitols return to action tomorrow night when they take on the Sioux City Musketeers at Bob Suter's Capitols Ice Arena in their annual Wiener Dog Race at 7:05pm.
Don't miss out on any of the action this season as the Capitols embark on their 5th season in the USHL. Ticket packages, suites, and group outing are available now at www.madcapshockey.comor by calling the front office at (608) 257-2277.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Stampede Rally to Earn Point in Fargo - Sioux Falls Stampede
- 3-2? 4-2? Hawks Win - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Muskegon Regains Top Spot in USHL with 3-2 Win over Tri-City - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Robbins Blanks Flying Aces in 2-0 Friday Win - Chicago Steel
- Blumel's Third Period Tally Leads Waterloo Past Dubuque - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Central Illinois Bested by Chicago Netminder - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Gameday Preview: Top Two Teams in USHL Face off Tonight in Kearney - Tri-City Storm
- Force Acquire Davidson from Central Illinois; Add Zabransky - Fargo Force
- Flying Aces Announce Trade with Fargo - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Boyer Lifts Capitols Past Stars 4-3 - Madison Capitols
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.