Boomers Drop Nip-And-Tuck Contest
SCHAUMBURG, IL - The Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, could not hold a 3-0 lead in dropping a 5-4 decision to the Washington Wild Things in the middle game on Saturday night.
Schaumburg scored three times in the third inning to take the lead. Jack Parenty and Connor Oliver singled to open the frame before Quincy Nieporte doubled down the line in right to open the scoring. Nick Oddo knocked home a run on a fielder's choice and Jimmy Galusky added a sacrifice fly in the inning. Washington immediately tied the game with three runs in the fourth inning the last two of which came on a two-out, two-strike single from Ryan Cox. Trailing 4-3, Nieporte tied the game with a two-out double in the sixth. The winning run scored unearned in the seventh. Oliver opened the ninth with a double but Washington's career leader in saves, Zach Strecker, shut the door.
Matt Miller started and worked 4.2 innings, allowing four runs, three earned, with three walks and five strikeouts. Michael McCraith suffered the loss, allowing an unearned run in two innings. Nieporte finished with three hits, all doubles, along with a pair of RBIs as the Boomers amassed 13 hits in the loss.
The series concludes on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. when the Boomers (28-25) send LHP Gunnar Kines (3-3, 2.98) to the hill against RHP Michael Austin (4-5, 5.49) in the rubber game. Sunday is Jimmy Buffett Day sponsored by Glenmark and also a Family Day with postgame autographs presented by Wintrust Community Banks. Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets and information or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2019
- Rascals Falter Late against Bolts - River City Rascals
- Fighting Freedom Stifle Grizzlies - Florence Y'alls
- Seventh-Inning Rally Nets Bolts 9-6 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shut out by Florence - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Drop Extra-Inning Affair to Slammers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Drop Nip-And-Tuck Contest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Even Series with One-Run Win - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Shutout Crushers in 8-0 Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Schaumburg Boomers Stories
- Frontier League Named as Partner League of MLB
- White Sox Select Boomers Stadium as Training Site for the 2020 Season
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- All-Star Nieporte Returns for 2020
- Eddie Jackson Charity Softball Game Returns Next Summer