Wild Things Even Series with One-Run Win
SCHAUMBURG, Il. - Washington blew a one-run lead in the sixth inning, but was able to answer immediately and avoid losing a lead for a loss for the second-straight night, as the Wild Things evened the series in Schaumburg, winning 5-4 Saturday night to go to 22-31 on the year.
Schaumburg scored the first three runs, all in the third inning, as they were able to score three after batting nine. The first three batters got hits in the frame and the rally continued from there as the Boomers took a 3-0 advantage.
Washington would get those back immediately, as three runs came in during the Ryan Cox plate appearance in the fourth. A wild pitch scored the first run as Saige Jenco scampered home to put the Things in the run column. Then Cox, whose two-run single was the only hit of the frae, would tie the game. The Wild Things took a 4-3 lead in the fifth on an RBI base hit by catcher Cody Erickson.
The Boomers would get that run back in the home sixth on a second RBI double on the night for Quincy Nieporte, who now has 23 RBI on the year. But Washington would again answer immediately, as JJ Fernandez singled home the go-ahead and winning run in the seventh, scoring Jenco.
Nick Durazo picked up the win in relief after AJ Bogucki tossed five innings of three-run ball for a no decision. He fanned three. Zach Strecker, after Jesus Balaguer pitched a scoreless seventh, worked the final two innings and didn't yield but one hit which was immediately erased by a double play, to earn his eighth save.
The two teams meet for a rubber game tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET at Boomers Stadium. Right hander Michael Austin goes for Washington and will be opposed by Boomers' lefty Gunnar Kines.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2019
- Rascals Falter Late against Bolts - River City Rascals
- Fighting Freedom Stifle Grizzlies - Florence Freedom
- Seventh-Inning Rally Nets Bolts 9-6 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shut out by Florence - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Drop Extra-Inning Affair to Slammers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Drop Nip-And-Tuck Contest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Even Series with One-Run Win - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Shutout Crushers in 8-0 Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.