Blue named AFL Ironman of the Week
Rookie FB/LB Bruce Blue was named AFL Ironman of the Week for his Week Ten performance against the Grand Rapids Rampage. Blue, the youngest player on the Dragons at 22 years old, recorded 2.0 tackles including a sack for a safety, and added two rushes for 28 yards and two touchdowns.
The game marked Blue's return after spending four weeks on the Injured Reserve with an irritated MCL in his right knee. Head Coach Weylan Harding commented on Blue's performance.
"He did a lot of what we were expecting him to do," said Harding. "It's great to see his potential and see him have that success after being out for a while."
Director of Football Operations and Player Personal Rory Vacco recruited Blue at an off-season all star game out in Odessa, Texas.
"I was concerned about his age and just trying to get him here being that he's still in school," said Vacco. "We were looking for a young player who could play FB/LB but who could also put his hand in the dirt. We wanted someone who could develop and fortunately for us it was quicker than expected."
Blue was honored and excited about receiving this award.
"I feel great. This was not expected, being a rookie," said Blue. "Coach and Rory gave me an opportunity and it's a blessing. I'm just going to keep playing hard."
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from April 4, 2006
- Utah Blaze game notes - Utah Blaze
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Nelson named AFL's Offensive Player of the Week - San Jose SaberCats
- Beckett.com AFL Collectible Player of the Week - AFL I
- Blue named AFL Ironman of the Week - New York Dragons
- Wacky Wranglers Wednesdays start tomorrow - Austin Wranglers
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- Nashville Kats game notes - Nashville Kats
- New York Dragons game notes - New York Dragons
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Colorado Crush Game notes - Colorado Crush
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- AFL names Players of the Week - AFL I
- Rush releases Cornelius White - Chicago Rush
- Schutt Sports Top 12 Poll - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.