Blue Crabs Survive Skeeters Scare
Waldorf, MD - Southern Maryland plated six runs in the first two innings of today's contest, and found a comfortable lead through eight innings. The Sugar Land Skeeters had a fierce comeback effort, but came up just short in a 9-7 Blue Crabs win.
Daryl Thompson (W, 13-6) was in vintage form tonight as he picked up his eleventh win in his last eleven starts. Thompson struck out eight batters in eight innings this evening, to extend his league lead in strikeouts while staying on track to break the Atlantic League strikeout record. He retired the Skeeters on five pitches in the top of the first, and his squad backed him up immediately.
Kent Blackstone and Edwin Garcia each reached base off the Skeeters' starter Matt Purke (L, 3-7) to lead off the bottom of the first. The three-hole hitter, Josh McAdams followed with a hot-shot line drive triple to right field, plating two runs in the early going.
The scoring poured on in the second. After three straight singles capped off by an RBI base knock from Edwin Garcia, Dean Green sent a moon shot over the right field fence, and a three run home run put Southern Maryland in control by a score of 6-0.
Sugar Land got two runs back in the top of the third on a two run home run from Juan Silverio, and plated another in the fifth when Cody Stanley picked up his fourth hit in nine at bats in the series, driving in Silverio and making it a 6-2 game.
Southern Maryland plated a run in the fifth when Tony Thomas brought a run home on the one month anniversary of stealing first base for the first time in baseball history, and later homered in the bottom of the eighth. Garcia brought home yet another run in the eighth to give the good guys a healthy 9-3 lead.
Southern Maryland survived a scare from the Skeeters in the top of the ninth inning, as Thompson exited the contest in favor of Ryan Chaffee with no outs and runners on the corners. Albert Cordero hit Chaffee's first pitch out of the ballpark to make the score 9-7. The right-hander settled down and induced a pair of ground outs before Mat Latos (S,17) came in to close the door on a Southern Maryland a 9-7 victory.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Wednesday August 14th for game three of a four game set with the Sugar Land Skeeters, and a 6:35 p.m first pitch.
Catch all Blue Crabs home games on the Blue Crabs Broadcast Network, live streamed on YouTube (@SOMDBlueCrabs) Facebook (@SOMDBlueCrabs) and Twitter (@BlueCrabs).
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Bees Snap Three-Game Skid With Walk-Off Victory Over Rockers - New Britain Bees
- Terdoslavich Propels Barnstormers To Victory - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Blue Crabs Survive Skeeters Scare - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Somerset Patriots Sign LHP Zack Dodson - Somerset Patriots
- Somerset Patriots Sign Major League RHP Chris Beck - Somerset Patriots
- Bees Late Game Rally Falls Short As Rockers Hang On For The Victory - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs Cancel Daryl Thompson Invitational Youth Baseball Tournament
- Blue Crabs Announce More Community Summer Showcase Events
- Blue Crabs Announce First Annual Daryl Thompson Invitational Youth Baseball Tournament
- Blue Crabs Announce Disney Movie Night, An All You Can Eat Beer and Wings MLB Watch Party, Family Sleepover
- Blue Crabs to Host Community Showcase Summer, Will Not Play Season Long Baseball in 2020