Blue Crabs Claw Their Way Into First Place With 4-1 Win
WALDORF, Md. - A solid outing by the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs pitching staff led to a 4-1 victory against the Bridgeport Bluefish tonight at Regency Furniture Stadium. The Blue Crabs second win in as many nights verse the division foe also helped lift Southern Maryland to first-place in the Liberty Division standings. Allowing just one run in the game, Blue Crabs starting pitcher Ian Marshall pitched 6 2/3 innings as the Bluefish managed just six hits, while striking out five times for Marshall's team-leading fouth win in as many starts. Southern Maryland's bullpen would then come in and throw 2 1/3 innings of spotless work.
Shortstop Renny Osuna and outfielder Brian Barton would help the Blue Crabs take their first lead of the contest in the third inning as they both reached base with back-to-back singles. Once reaching base, the two would attempt a double steal as Bluefish catcher Luis Rodriguez overthrew third letting the ball trickle into left field allowing Osuna to score. Barton would then attempt to use his wheels and score another run, but would be called out as left fielder Austin Krum came up with the throw for Rodriguez. An inning later Southern Maryland would load the bases for Bluefish pitcher Travis Minnix, who replaced an injured Keith Bilodeau, as Barton came to the plate. Pitcher Minnix would respond by hitting Barton, which forced in the second run of the game. Bridgeport would tally their first run in the next frame as Matt Spencer doubled off of Blue Crabs pitcher Marshall. Two batters later Iggy Suarez would hit a single to score Spencer and shorten the Blue Crabs lead to one. The Blue Crabs would continue to add on to their lead in the bottom of the inning however, for the third consecutive inning with at least one run scored. With runners on first and second Southern Maryland's Cesar Nicolas hit a ball over the head of center fielder Adam Greenberg. Greenberg hustled for the ball but couldn't come up with the catch as the Blue Crabs extend their lead to 4-1 in the fifth, which became the eventual final.
UP NEXT - The Blue Crabs will go on to face the Bluefish in a single game tomorrow in Bridgeport, before heading to Bethpage Ballpark for the first time this season to play a weekend series with the Long Island Ducks. Fans can tune into the Blue Crabs live broadcast by going to www.phoenixintermedia.com. Fans can also follow the Blue Crabs on www.somdbluecrabs.com, on Facebook (Southern Maryland BlueCrabs), on Twitter (@BlueCrabs) and on Instagram (BlueCrabsBaseball).
BLUE CRABS HIGHLIGHTS:
RHP Ian Marshall - 6 2/3 IP, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K
RP Gaby Hernandez, Eddie Morlan, Jim Ed Warden - 2 1/3 IP, 0 R, 3 K
INF Jose Julio-Ruiz - 3-for-4, 1 R
INF Renny Osuna - 2-for-5, 1 R
INF Wladimir Sutil - 2-for-4
OF Brian Barton - 2-for-3, 1 RBI
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 22, 2013
- Twins Double Team Barnstormers As Somerset Wins - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Rally Late to Beat Sharks - Long Island Ducks
- Blue Crabs Claw Their Way Into First Place With 4-1 Win - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Patriots Win 5-2 to Even Series with Barnstormers - Somerset Patriots
- Revs Run Into Sugar Land Buzzsaw Again, Dropping Second Straight - York Revolution
- Revolution in York, as Skeeters Win Wild One 7-6 and Move to 27-5 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- OF Dustin Martin Signs With Arizona Organization - Sugar Land Skeeters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs Add Backstop Duo
- Blue Crabs Add Trio of Pitchers
- Returning All-Star Among Latest Blue Crabs Additions
- Blue Crabs Fall Short in Game One against Bridgeport
- Jeremy Owens to Manage Southern Maryland Blue Crabs