Blizzard Clinch Playoff Spot
The Green Bay Blizzard has clinched a playoff spot with their victory over the Mahoning Valley Thunder on Friday night, 69-28. This will be the fourth consecutive season the team will be in the af2 playoffs, with two consecutive trips to the American Conference Championship Game and an appearance in ArenaCup7 in 2006.
If the playoffs started today, the Blizzard would host a 1st round play-off game Friday August 1st: 2008 af2 PLAYOFF STANDINGS (as of 6-24-08)
AMERICAN CONFERENCE STANDINGS 1. W-B/Scranton (10-2) - xy - Current East Division Leader 2. Green Bay (9-3) - y - Current Midwest Division Leader 3. Florida (8-3) - Current South Division Leader 4. Tennessee Valley (8-4) - Owns point differential advantage in HTH games with SGW (120-110) 5. South Georgia (8-4) 6. Louisville (7-5) - Owns HTH advantage over LEX 7. Lexington (7-5) 8. Quad City (6-6)
NATIONAL CONFERENCE STANDINGS 1. Tulsa (11-1) - y - Current Central Division Leader - Owns SOS advantage over SPK (.465/.462) 2. Spokane (11-1) - y - Current West Division Leader 3. Austin (6-6) - Current Southwest Division Leader - Owns better win % in HTH meetings with BSB and CCS 4. Arkansas (8-4) - Owns point differential advantage in HTH games with LUB (118-89) 5. Lubbock (8-4) 6. Central Valley (7-4) 7. Bossier-Shreveport (6-6) - Owns HTH advantage over CCS; BSB and CCS own better win % in common games over BOI (OKC, TEX) 8. Corpus Christi (6-6) - Owns better win % in common games over BOI (DBT, OKC, TEX)
x - clinched division; y - clinched playoff spot *Teams in bold currently lead their respective division; HTH = Head-to-head; SOS = Strength of schedule
The Green Bay Blizzard (9-3, 6-1) will travel down to Moline, IL to take on division-rival Quad City Steamwheelers (6-6, 4-4). Game time is set for 7:00pm CST.
The 2008 Blizzard regular season home finale will be on Friday, July 18, 2008, at US Cellular Field. The night features Fan Appreciation Night, along with a Buck Night ($1 Beer, $1 Soda & $1 Hot Dogs), and a T-shirt Giveaway presented by Menominee Casino. The Blizzard will take on the Louisville Fire in an important Midwest Division matchup.
Tickets starting at only $8 are available by calling Ticketstar at 800-895-0071, visiting www.ticketstaronline.com or by visiting the Resch Center Box Office.
For more information contact the Blizzard Office at 920-405-1264.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from June 25, 2008
- Eight former af2 players earn AFL honors - af2
- Dorados Announce Guys Night Out - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Fire Blaze a Trail to Youngstown - Louisville Fire
- Talons Resume Perch Atop Coaches Poll For Week 14 - Tulsa Talons
- Florida Firecats Remain Fifth in Week Fourteen Coaches Poll - Florida Firecats
- Former Viper Adelekan Named to AFL All-Rookie Team - Alabama Vipers
- Albany Dispatches ThunderBirds To Snap Losing Streak - Albany Firebirds
- Talons Perched Back on Top of Coaches Poll for Week 14 - af2
- Talons Perched Back On Top Of Coaches Poll For Week 14 - Tulsa Talons
- Former Conquest QB Named To AFL All-Rookie Team - Albany Firebirds
- Ransom Wins af2 Honors - Tulsa Talons
- Blizzard Clinch Playoff Spot - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.