Talons Resume Perch Atop Coaches Poll For Week 14
The defending ArenaCup Champion Tulsa Talons have moved back into the No. 1 spot in the Week 14 Coaches Poll, the arenafootball2 (af2) league office announced today. The Talons (11-1) collected 430 of a possible 448 points and 14-of-29 first place votes in securing the top position. Tulsa clinched a playoff spot this past week with a 58-52 road win against Rio Grande Valley. It was the Talons' ninth straight postseason appearance, the most of any active team. Tulsa, one of three original af2 member teams, has qualified for the playoffs every season of the team's existence.
The Spokane Shock (11-1, 427 points, 11 first place votes) slipped back one spot to the No. 2 position this week after suffering their first loss of 2008, 57-55, at home to the No. 6-ranked South Georgia Wildcats. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (10-2, 391 points, 4 first place votes) held firm at No. 3 as the team scored an impressive, 69-40, Week 13 home victory against Manchester. With the win the Pioneers clinched their second straight East Division title and secured their fifth straight trip to the postseason. Green Bay also qualified for the playoffs in Week 13 and maintained its place in the poll at No. 4 on the strength of 69-27 home win against Mahoning Valley. The Blizzard (9-3, 342 points) have won four consecutive contests. The Florida Firecats (8-3, 315 points), who enjoyed a bye in Week 13, held onto the No. 5 spot in the poll. The team returns to action in Week 14 when they host No. 3 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
The complete Top 16 is listed below. The number in parentheses indicates the number of first place votes the team received.
WEEK 14 TOP 16
RANK TEAM PTS
1 Tulsa 430 (14)
2 Spokane 427 (11)
3 W-B/Scranton 391 (4)
4 Green Bay 342
5 Florida 315
6 South Georgia 308
7 Tennessee Valley 291
8 Arkansas 271
9 Lubbock 252
10 Lexington 187
11 Central Valley 182
12 Louisville 172
13 Austin 106
14 Corpus Christi 76
15 Bossier-Shreveport 68
16 Boise 55
Each week during the season af2 coaches will vote for the Top 16 teams in the league by ranking them one through 16 on a ballot. Teams ranked first receive 16 points with the point value decreasing by one for each place below first, meaning a team ranked 16th would receive one point. Total points will determine the Top 16 list. In the event of a tie in total points, the team with the greater number of first-place votes will be ranked higher. The af2 Coaches Poll will be announced every Wednesday during the regular season. Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own team and the poll results have no bearing on postseason qualification.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from June 25, 2008
- Eight former af2 players earn AFL honors - af2
- Dorados Announce Guys Night Out - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Fire Blaze a Trail to Youngstown - Louisville Fire
- Talons Resume Perch Atop Coaches Poll For Week 14 - Tulsa Talons
- Florida Firecats Remain Fifth in Week Fourteen Coaches Poll - Florida Firecats
- Former Viper Adelekan Named to AFL All-Rookie Team - Alabama Vipers
- Albany Dispatches ThunderBirds To Snap Losing Streak - Albany Firebirds
- Talons Perched Back on Top of Coaches Poll for Week 14 - af2
- Talons Perched Back On Top Of Coaches Poll For Week 14 - Tulsa Talons
- Former Conquest QB Named To AFL All-Rookie Team - Albany Firebirds
- Ransom Wins af2 Honors - Tulsa Talons
- Blizzard Clinch Playoff Spot - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.