Blazers Battle Wings In Home-And-Home Weekend Series
Boston, Mass (January 23, 2009) - The Boston Blazers (0-2) continue intra-division play with back-to-back games against the Philadelphia Wings (1-1) this weekend. The Blazers are looking for its first win of the season as the team dropped its first two games to the NY Titans. Tonight the Blazers visit the Wachovia Center for a matchup with the Wings at 8 PM. Less than 24 hours later, the teams will face-off in a rematch in Boston on Saturday, January 24 at 7:30 PM at the TD Banknorth Garden.
The Blazers are looking to capitalize on the energy from last week's historic home opener at the TD Banknorth Garden. Forwards Brenden Thenhaus (seven goals, six assists) and rookie Daryl Veltman (five goals, eight assists) have paced the team over the first two games followed by "Dangerous" Dan Dawson (four goals, seven assists). Veltman was named National Lacrosse League's Rookie of the Week for the week of January 12 after his nine-point performance (team-high four goals and three loose balls) against the Titans in the Blazers home opener.
"I saw a lot of good things from our team last week," said Blazers Head Coach/GM Tom Ryan. "However, we must continue to improve week to week, thus back-to-back games against a divisional rival make this a pivotal weekend in our young season. The Wings are athletic and play an up-tempo style. We must match their intensity to be successful."
The Wings (1-1) will begin its home schedule on Friday as the squad tries to maintain its momentum following a 16-13 victory over Rochester Knighthawks on January 10. The Wings have a balanced attack with six players each notching more than five points over the team's first two games. Forward Kyle Wailes (three goals, seven assists) has led the charge for Philadelphia followed by Drew Westervelt (five goals, three assists) and Geoff Snider (two goals, six assists). The Wings are also awaiting official word on the health of their leading scorer in 2008, Athan Iannucci, who has yet to see action this season.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 23, 2009
- Wings drop close game to Boston in home opener - Philadelphia Wings
- Roughnecks Meet Stealth on Home Turf Saturday - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks to Hold 1997 Jersey Auction on Hall of Fame Night - Rochester Knighthawks
- Blazers Daryl Veltman is NLL Rookie of the Week - Boston Blazers
- Knighthawks Host New York In Search Of First Win Of Season - Rochester Knighthawks
- Blazers Battle Wings In Home-And-Home Weekend Series - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals