Black Wolves Close out 2020 NLL Draft with Four Additional Draftees
UNCASVILLE, CT. - To complete the 2020 NLL Entry Draft, the New England Black Wolves selected Michael Sowers with the 41st pick, Grant Ament with the 65th and concluded the night with the 80th and 93rd overall picks, selecting Nick Ellerton and Jeremy Bomberry, respectively.
Sowers and Ellerton will both return to their respective institutions for a fifth year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to COVID-19.
A Princeton University graduate, Sowers is the all-time leading scoring with 302 career points on 121 goals and 181 assists. He also holds the record for career assists and is tied for fifth in career goals. Among all Division I institutions he sits second all-time in career points per game (6.43), fourth in career assists per game. Over his four-year career, Sowers has been named Inside Lacrosse DI Player of the Year, a Tewaarton Award finalist, a two-time unanimous first-team All-Ivy League honoree and unanimous Ivy League Rookie of the Year, and a USILA second and third team All-American.
Ament, a Doylestown, PA native enters the National Lacrosse League after a collegiate campaign at Penn State University and a rookie year in the Premier Lacrosse League. The 5'9" forward, concluded his career as a three-time All-American, was named a Tewaarton Award finalist, the first in school history and was the recipient of the NCAA Lt. Col J.I. (Jack) Turnbull Award for Outstanding Attackman in 2019. In addition, he was voted Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year in 2019 following his senior year, earned three All-Big Ten honors and ranked sixth in NCAA history in assists (191) at the end of his career. Ament's career totals include, 54 games played, 91 goals scored, 189 assists recorded and 280 total points. With 229 shots, 151 were on goal leaving him with a SOG percentage of 65.9%.
Drafted first overall in the 2020 PLL College Draft by the Archers LC, he finished his first year leading his team with 20 points on six goals and 14 assists. The Archers finished the season 4-2 overall and made it to the semifinals of the Championship Series Tournament.
Ellerton, a 5'10" defenseman from Boston University, has been named to the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll three times (2019, 2018, 2017). During his time at BU he picked up 118 ground balls and caused 66 turnovers in 42 contests.
Bomberry joins the Black Wolves after winning a silver medal with the Iroquois Nationals Junior team in 2018 and was a part of the Six Nations Arrows Minto Cup journey in 2017. Having played for Six Nations from 2015-2019 as a forward, he appeared in 64 games, racked up 47 goals and 108 assists and finished with a total of 155 points.
In the second round of the draft, New England received Jacob Ruest and the 24th overall pick in a trade with Colorado for the Black Wolves' 18th and 33rd overall picks. With the 24th pick, the team selected Charlie Kitchen. Kitchen will also return to his alma mater for a fifth year of eligibility. Tickets for the 2021 season are now on sale. For more information or to purchase tickets visit blackwolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 18, 2020
- Colorado Bolsters Roster with 11 Selections, Two Trades During 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- Philadelphia Wings Add Eight Players to Roster at 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- Black Wolves Close out 2020 NLL Draft with Four Additional Draftees - New England Black Wolves
- National Lacrosse League Completes 2020 Entry Draft - NLL
- Swarm Make Numerous Key Additions at 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Georgia Swarm
- Roughnecks Select Nine in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Bandits Select Six in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Buffalo Bandits
- Warriors Stock the Cupboard with the 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Vancouver Warriors
- Thunderbirds Bolster Defense in 2020 Entry Draft - Halifax Thunderbirds
- Rock Select Six at NLL Draft - Toronto Rock
- Knighthawks Acquire Eight Players in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Rochester Knighthawks
- Seals Select Seven in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - San Diego Seals
- New York Riptide Select Eight Players the NLL Draft - New York Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Black Wolves Stories
- NLL Approves Sale of New England Black Wolves
- Kew Extends Contract with New England
- Glenn Clark Receives Petro-Canada Coaching Excellence AwardÃ¢ÂÂ
- Black Wolves Acquire Two, Re-Sign Brown
- Black Wolves Close out 2020 NLL Draft with Four Additional Draftees